Chapter 19: Death

The next morning, I was engrossed in reading the progress Sette and Cinque had made on the new weapon we were developing, when Tre knocked on my office door. He was breathless and struggling to speak.

"What's going on? Can you please just say it clearly?" I asked, feeling irritated.

"Your mother... she was found dead," Tre managed to say between gasps for air.

I stared at Tre, my heart pounding. I felt rooted to the spot, as if the world had come to a standstill.

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to process what he was saying. "What are you talking about, Tre?!" I yelled, frustration boiling over.

"The police informed me," Tre said, his head lowered.

I approached him and slapped him hard. Gripping his collar, I stared into his eyes intensely. My anger surged, fueled by the devastating news he had just delivered.

"Tell me again," I commanded in a stern voice.

"I'm telling you the truth, F. We need to go there now!"

For the first time in ages, Tre shouted back at me in anger. He grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the manor. He hurried me into the car, fastened my seat belt, and drove as fast as he could towards the village where I had hidden my mom to protect her from my enemies.

I had underestimated them. How could they have done this?

After hours of driving, we finally arrived at the crime scene. Police officers surrounded the area, but they couldn't stop me from entering the house. There, I saw my mother's lifeless body covered in a white sheet.

Her skin was pale, and she had a bluish tinge, as if someone had choked her to death. I didn't understand how she had died or who was responsible for this.

I sat beside her body, pulling her into my arms. Her cold, stiff form rested against me. She would no longer breathe. Tears streamed down my face like raindrops as I clung to my mother's lifeless body. I couldn't hold back my sobs. I wept like a child, but no words escaped my mouth.

"Mom..." I cried, my voice breaking. "Who... who did this to you?"

Tre looked at me, tears streaming down his face too. He turned away and wept silently. He must be hurting just as much.

I remembered when I graduated from IdR. She had told me to express gratitude to Heng and start afresh, to live a worthy and honest life. She had pleaded with me not to put myself in danger because she wouldn't know what to do if I got hurt.

"Mom, I'm so sorry..." I sobbed again.

It was my fault. I had allowed my anger to consume me. I had let my rage control me.

"You'll be living on your own from now on?" Mom had asked when I told her she would stay in the new house I had bought for her.

"Yes," I had replied, popping the 'p' sound.

"Promise you'll visit me when you're not too busy, okay?" she had asked, and I had nodded.

But after that, I hadn't told her about my whereabouts. I hadn't visited her because my enemies were constantly tailing me. I couldn't call or message her.

"Mom!" I shouted, realizing I could never turn back time.

Even with all the money in the world, I couldn't buy a time machine. I couldn't bring her back to me.

"We found this near your mother's body earlier," a police officer said, handing me a zip lock bag containing a letter written by my mother.

It read, "Don't trust the people around you..." It remained unfinished. My heart skipped a beat, and I swallowed the lump in my throat as another tear fell on my cheek.

Hours passed before I discovered the cause of my mother's death. She hadn't been choked or murdered. The autopsy revealed she had overdosed on Digoxin. My mother had suffered from heart failure, and she had accidentally taken an excessive dose.

The police stopped their investigation, dismissing it as my mother's foolish mistake. Their explanation only fueled my anger.

Why would my mom take her own life and leave that note? The police wouldn't listen to me, so I ordered Tre and Sei to eliminate anyone who hindered the investigation. If they refused to listen to me, they shouldn't listen to anyone else either.

It took us a week before we finally returned to the manor. I had forgotten I even had a house.

"What happened, F?" Cinque asked, concerned. I simply stared at her, and Tre signaled for her not to engage me at that moment.

I rushed to my room and collapsed onto the bed.

To this day, I haven't found any evidence to prove that my mother was murdered and that it wasn't simply an act of foolishness. Who knew Digoxin could be deadly?

"Freen?" someone knocked on the door, pulling me out of my bed.

I opened the door and saw Becky, her face filled with worry. But my mind was blank.

"Don't trust the people around you," I muttered. "How could I trust you, Becky?"