2

January 4, 2021, Monaco

I didn't give much more importance to my interaction with Lewis than what it was, a fleeting conversation in the corridors of a gallery.

I spent the weeks after doing business as usual, a couple of meetings with Gina, volunteering in the animal shelter that I found when I arrived here, reading, movies, exercising, visiting the exhibitions of the nearby galleries and sunsets from the sofa in the studio.

And that was exactly what I was doing right now. I had been in the studio all day working on a piece, it's still not finished and I don't really know what it was supposed to be but its progress.

I heard a thump resonate over the music I had on but I didn't know where it was coming from. I got up to the cabinet where I had the record player and raised the needle, waiting for it to sound again.

"Open up Ela!" I heard Gina shout from the other side of the door.

I go to the door and open it wide finding the smiling brunette.

"Hey!"

She went in for a hug but I took a step back, I was wearing an apron full of remainings of wet paint and I know she would kill me if it stained her clothes.

"Did you paint?"

"I did! Come on in"

I let her in and she closes the door behind her, saying nothing as she heads towards the easel, already knowing this moment well enough to know what to do.

Instead of the usual succession of questions and comments when I show her a piece I find her silence.

"Elaine...what is this?"

I frown at her, not expecting that reaction as I quickly get to where she was standing.

"What? Is it so bad?"

Obviously it wasn't my best work, it was kind of messy and different from the previous ones, but bad enough to receive that answer?

"It's not bad it's just... who were you copying? This is not your style Ela, it reminds me of...Wasn't there a Kara Walker exhibition last week here?"

I sigh as I untie my apron and hang it on a hook nearby.

"It was two weeks ago. Ok I see it now, this is rubbish."

I take a sheet and cover the painting, most likely I'll end up taking it home but I'll decide another time.

I go to the fridge and open it, examining what remains inside.

"Do you want a beer?"

I turn around and offer her one while she's looking at me with a disapproving look.

"Elaine"

"Come on Gina, I know that under that posh facade you have the taste of a normal person, do you want the beer or not?"

She gave it a couple of seconds until she rolled her eyes and took the bottle from my hand.

"Do you even have an opener here?" Before she even finished the question I threw her one, taking it in the air.

I let her sit on the sofa and I pull out a folding chair to sit in front of her.

I take a sip of the beer and try to hide the disgusting look on my face, I don't even know why I bought them if I don't like them, I prefer wine.

"The gallery has given me a date" Gina said after a few minutes.

"How bad it's going to be?"

She gives me a half smile before returning to her business face.