38

June 5, 2024, Monaco

Elaine's POV

I get out of the shower and checked how the house is still completely silent, always a great sign.

I hurry to dry off and get dressed so I can try to take advantage of these moments of rest.

I go out and everything is still silent, I go through the nursery and take a look, I checked one of the cribs and how Ethan was still sleeping peacefully, I look at the other one and it's empty, why am I missing one?

The light in the living room is off, the doors to my study and Lewis's gym are closed too, I could only see our bedroom door half open and a dim light coming in through there.

"Hey, babe-" I go into the room and stop when I see the image in front of me.

"I'm awake!" He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand, the other baby resting on his bare chest.

"Okay?"

"She just fell asleep, she hasn't slept at all tonight" He said, tireness clearly visible in his eyes, he had become an expert at camouflaging his exhaustion, accustomed to restless nights from his travels and, addicted to more cups of coffee than should be recommended, he was able to stay awake hours on end with the kids. And perhaps to an outsider it would seem that he has everything under control, and probably if I let him he would stay awake for even more hours but I know him and he probably hasn't slept in days for more than three hours in a row.

"Neither did you, didn't you?" He shook his head, it's like he had a sixth sense, it's the slightest cry and he would get up without bothering to wake me up, insisting that he alone has everything under control "Here, let me take her"

"No, no let her sleep" He placed a protective hand on her back, the little girl with her cheek pressed against her father's chest and her eyes softly closed."I think she has colics or something, we will take her to the doctor if she keeps like this"

"You need the rest too" I remind him, my hand brushing his cheek and him closing his eyes briefly.

"Leave her here, just...make sure I don't crush her or something, let me sleep for half an hour and then wake me up" I lay down next to him, him turning his face to face me.

"Okay, try to rest"

"How's Ethan?" He asked.

"Still asleep like a log after I fed them and put them down for their nap" Unlike his sister it seems, who must have woken up closely after I got in the shower without me realizing.

"I miss sleep" He sighs.

"I know you do, I do too" I whisper back.

"Would pay a lot of money for a whole nights sleep" He moved his face closer to mine resting his forehead on mine.

"Start by closing your eyes maybe" I propose.

"Wake me up" He said.

"Sure" I said, my hand going up to his cheek, brushing it slowly with my thumb, his eyes closing almost immediately.

"Don't lie" He groans.

"I'm not lying" A smile creeping on my lips.

"Yes you are. You never lie to me I notice when you do" He mumbles.

"Just sleep Lewis"

When I noticed that his breathing was slowing down, I considered trying to take the baby from his chest, but there was a risk that she would wake up when she stopped noticing the rhythmic breathing of her father's chest.