11

March 28, 2021, Monaco

Elaine's POV

The month of March brought a kind of routine back to my life. Usually in the mornings I would go for a run, the weather warming up as we got closer to spring.

I stop by the coffee shop that Lewis showed me and pick up a coffee before locking myself in the studio.

Lately it has become less of an imposition and more of a need to let go of what I have inside, similar to when it all started.

I had managed to see Lewis a couple of times before the season started, and was able to wish him luck before he had to leave for Bahrain last week.

It was almost lunchtime when I received a video call from Gina. I moved away from the painting I was working on and put the phone on the window ledge, where she could only see a couple of old paintings behind me.

"I bring news! I would say great but I know you well enough to know that at most they will be good" I roll my eyes at her implication that I'm difficult. I mean, she's absolutely right but still.

"You really know how to cheer me up" I say sarcasticaly.

"I told you I was speaking to the gallery right? They have agreed to eight works for the second of October"

"Okay, eight for October, got it" I leave the camera shot for a moment and go to the calendar that I have hanging on the wall, I look for the date and circle it in red.

"Wait, since when do you not resist with a deadline?" I go back in front of the phone and see how Gina had moved closer to the camera, frowning at me. "Elaine, is that paint on your cheek?"

"No it's not" In fact, I did have traces of yellow paint on my cheek that I remove with the back of my hand.

"Are you painting again? Can I go this afternoon to the studio?" She asked cheerful.

"No, You can not. I have changed the locks" She has a key for emergencies, or for any time she wants to come see the progress or kick me out of here because I've gotten lost in time.

"Why would you change the locks? You know I love to see your progress Ela" I haven't actually changed the lock but I need her to let me work a little more until I feel ready for her to see it.

"Not with this collection, not until it's done."

"How many have you painted?" I take a look around me, a small pile of discards ones on one corner, the half-finished painting I'm working on and a couple already finished and many, many rough sketches scattered in different notebooks around the room.

"Only a couple that are worth it" I muttered under my breath.

"You already have two possible works?" She exclaimed happily.

"Yeah, I mean, I've started a bunch more but they weren't good enough."

I look up at the phone again and see Gina with a rather strange smile on her face.

"Why are you smiling like that? You're kind of scary with that face Gigi"

"You're back" I sigh and shake my head.

"What do you mean? I never left"

"Oh but you did Ela, I was afraid that you were going to get lost on the way. I don't know what that Brit of yours would have done but don't stop it please" I froze for a moment before clearing my throat and avoiding her gaze by looking at the half-finished painting.

"It's not him, it must be traveling so much lately"

"You have traveled a lot more with me this last year and I had hardly seen you smile" I press my lips in a thin line, knowing she's right "What are you painting about? More selfportraits?"