9

February 14, 2021, United Kingdom

"As much as I love seeing you wearing my number" he said gently lifting it from my head "We're going to have to ditch the cap"

He had driven back to his home in London, deciding it was a better option to take a taxi from here.

"Now you're going to tell me we're going to have to go undercover" I joke.

"Nothing out of place, I just don't think it's smart to walk around London with my merch, you know? We want to reach our destination at some point"

The taxi arrived moments later and Lewis got into the back seat with me, taking advantage of the trip to occasionally point out a place that reminded him of his childhood.

"I didn't see you as the type to go see the typical monuments"

The taxi had dropped us off near London Bridge and it seemed very strange to me that Lewis had chosen this place.

"Oh we are not here for this, it is about ten minutes from here, you will love it" his hand remained on my back the whole way there, guiding me through the busy streets.

I knew we had arrived when I saw Lewis' smile. It was an absolutely breathtaking garden, totally different from the rest of the city landscape.

"Has this always been here?" I can't even imagine how beautiful all this must be in spring.

"The church was almost completely destroyed during the second world war but the garden the ruins had become are now open to the public so yes, I guess it has always been here."

"And why are people going to see a giant Ferris wheel instead of this?" He chuckled at me but it was honestly a serious concern.

"Not a fan of heights?" He teased me.

"Fan of getting into a giant crystal ball that spins on a metal wheel with strangers? No, thanks" I quickened my pace getting a couple on steps infront of him so I wouldnt see him laughing at me.

"You're scared of heights!" He got to me and I could see how he was repressing a laugh.

"It's not the heights it's...would you really get in there? What if it breaks and you stay there? Or if it falls or something?" Not to mention having to lock yourself in that space with complete strangers.

"I'm sure it won't fall" He assured me but not even that would make me get in that thing.

"Well I still prefer this place"

It was almost dusk when Lewis stopped me in front of a fountain.

"Ok give me the camera, I'll take a picture of you" He ushered me and I instinctively I brought one of my hands to the camera strap.

"Can't you take it with your phone?"

"You are obsessed with that camera for some reason, it will be good, and you are beautiful today I want you to have the photo" I weighed my options for a moment and decided that there was no way I could convince him to do it with his cell phone without explaining why I didn't want him to take the camera.

"I swear if you drop it Lewis" I take it off my neck and gently leave it in his hands.

"What even is so special about the camera?" He inspects it curiously.

"Don't drop it or I will kill you, no kidding" I threating him.

"Okay just...stay looking beautiful I guess, I'm not good at giving directions" He said already behind the lense taking a couple of steps back to get a better shot.

He made a bunch of photos before looking back at what he shot with a smirk.

"There it is, another amazing job from photographer Lewis" I looked at him with a raised eyebrow as he got closer to me.

"Did you just talk about yourself in third person?"

"Please don't let me do that ever again" he said hanging again the camera on my neck

We continue trying to enjoy the last moments of sunlight. The afternoon had been relatively quiet with just a couple of people stopping Lewis to ask for a photo, something I was getting used to.

"Okay wait here a second" He said before strolling down to a little stall to buy something.

"A rose?" He came back with a single red rose and offered it to me.

"You don't like it?" He asked puzzled.

"I love it its just...it must have cost you a fortune today it's like the worst day to buy roses"

"I think my bank account will be able to handle it, I didn't want you to be left without your rose on Valentine's Day"

I stared at the flower between my fingers.

"Have you ever been in love?" I look up at him again and found him kind of confused.

"Where is this coming from?"

"You know, Valentine's Day and all that, has left me curious"

"A couple of times, yes" He crosses his arms over his chest in a protective way.

"How was it?" His gaze was lost in the sky for a moment before looking back at me.

"Awfully painful" He answered sincerely.

"Was it worth it?" I wondered and he sighed.

"At that time I thought it was, I mean, I don't think anyone falls in love thinking that it won't be worth it. But you know, it's a two-way thing and it's so complicated, no matter how much one thinks it's worth it if the other doesn't... there isn't much to do."

"Love is shit" I declared and he must have taken it as a joke because he laughed at me.

"Such a poet"

"It is! It's just so unnecesary and painful. It doesn't make any sense and everyone thinks it does but it's so idealized, it's bullshit."

"Who hurt you Elaine?" I chuckled at that but that only made him look at me more concerned "I'm serious, who hurt you to think like that?"

"I just don't think it's worth the pain when you know how it's going to end, it's that simple" I shrugged my shoulders and he took a step closer to me.

"That's such a shame"

"Why? I've been just fine so far"

"Someone like you shouldn't live in fear of what could happen" He tucked a free strand of hair behind my ear again.

"I'm not living in fear-"

"But I get it. I understand what you are saying and I can come to understand where it comes from, I just hope that this way of thinking does not make you later regret what could have happened, you deserve to be happy, whatever happiness means to you, you should have it"

I don't know what came over me, the only thing I could think of to do was take a step closer to him and wrap my arms around his waist, hiding my head in his neck.

"And where does this come from?" He breathed out.

"I don't know I just felt like I wanted to say something but I didn't know how to say it so I just-"

"I get it...sometimes words are not enough, I get it"

One of his arms remained on my waist while the other gently caressed my hair.

"You know Elaine, someday you will choose someone. And then you will keep choosing them every single day, not listening to the fear, not minding the possible heartache. That's how you will know it's worth it"