A Fight Against Time

Giuseppe needed to understand how this could happen

Giuseppe needed to understand how this could happen. No one was supposed to know they were in New York... no one but their family and the ones that had visited. One of them couldn't be trusted, maybe all. They all put his wife's life in danger; that's what he knew. Berardo had Regina, and Giuse was going crazy on the inside. She was pregnant, alone with a crazy man, when she should have been with him, and it had been weeks. Maybe, two months, Giuseppe had lost count because he focused on finding her rather than keeping track of time.

The only thing he could do was replay the events of that day in his head. How Berardo found them, and why wasn't Regenia's tracker working? No one was supposed to know about the tracker, and it caused his mind to wander back to the night before she was taken to the people they had spoken with, trying to figure out which one of them was still working with his cousin but lying in their face. Still, he needed to understand how they knew exactly which restaurant they would be in. None of it was adding up; they all wanted Berardo dead as much as they did. Well, at least, he thought.

"Giuseppe—"

"I don't want to hear it, Arianna. I know I need sleep, but my wife is still missing... the first woman I ever loved is missing... and I don't know what to do."

"Yes, you do, Giuse! You are our fucking Don. You know what to do, don't let this discourage you. Berardo isn't stupid; he wants you to act blindly. He wants you to be out of your head to use this against you. He won't kill Regenia... he wants her for himself." She sighed, shaking her head. "He wants to be you. To want what you have, and Berardo thinks Regenia can do that. He thinks you will trade everything for her, but we aren't going to allow you to do it. You'll get her back... alive and well."

"She's pregnant—"

"And your baby will be okay. You have to believe that Fratello. Sai che questa (you know this)." Arianna spoke as he pulled him into a tight hug. He knew she was hurting just a bad, but unlike the rest of his family, she was there with him, ensuring everything would be okay. Giuseppe hoped she was right because he didn't know what he would do if he lost his Uccellino.

"I hope you're right, Ari, or this can't be all for nothing. What would I tell them? She's their Madre Arianna. They can't lose her— I can't lose her." He whispered, watching his children play beside them. Genia was all they had, and it was killing him to lie to them daily. "I need to return to New York...."

"NO, YOU DON'T! Look, Jacob and Enzo are taking care there. We can trust them, but I'm unsure about the others there. Charlotte, yes, but the governor, mayor, and commissioner, I know they claim the be on our side...."

"The governor is Regenia's mother—"

"Maybe so, Giuseppe but Berardo did have someone impersonate her, Giuseppe. She knew too much about her life. How do you think he found out about that? I'm not trying to tell you how to do your job but dig more into Zoey. Good thing Bianca didn't kill the fake Zoey when you told her. Maybe she can tell us something."