Run

Berardo couldn't believe he had let Regenia get away with hitting him

Berardo couldn't believe he had let Regenia get away with hitting him. On any other day, he would have fought back, but Giuseppe was quick to pull his gun to protect his lovely wife. Also, as much as he hated it, Ardo would follow the mafia code and not shed blood on the day of Zio's funeral or the week to follow if he wanted the mafioso to respect him. Although he wanted to be Don, he respected his Zio and mafia rules. Still, he thought if he pushed Giuseppe or Regenia, they would fuck up and disgrace the code... especially Regenia, since she was hot-headed.

However, his mind kept returning to how he never noticed that Genia was pregnant. Two months with him, and it didn't come to mind. The woman never had a period. She never asked for personal supplies, and he looked over the whole issue. How dumb could he be? Berardo was sitting on a gold mine and didn't realize it, but that was yesterday's news. His problem now was the papers his father presented to him, which was a shocker.

How were they not related to the Romano family by blood? He grew up thinking he was a Romano and wondered why his father was looked over for being Don. It couldn't be true. Someone was lying to keep him from pursuing his dumbass cousin and his wife. Or a way to knock him off his game. Either way, it wouldn't work, and he would get his answers before he left Italy.

But who could he trust?

Mario was out of the question. He now knew the man was 100% on Giuseppe's side. He could've asked Adele or Luca since they were in Italy for the funeral. Then again, they were too close to his Zio, and their children were friends with the asshole. Knowing them, they would lie just to help keep him at bay. Therefore, that wouldn't work. So, until then, he would lay low until he knew his next moves. Meanwhile, Ardo was going to his Zio Giovanni's funeral and play the loving nephew and cousin to get under the other's skin.

"You're playing with fire, big brother."

"How are you still alive?" Instead of answering, Francesca kneeled before him while taking his face into her hands. "I should hate you; hate what you have done to me... our famiglia, but I love you because you're my brother. Berardo, this needs to stop. I understand you think you could do much more for our mafioso, but you would only run our famiglia into the ground. Besides killing Giuseppe, work with him. May he could turn some of your ideas into good ones."

Fran must have been off her rockers if she thought he would work with Giuseppe. Berardo wasn't about to be second to anyone, especially his little cousin. Maybe if he stepped down and let him be Don, Ardo would think about letting him play underboss. It was the only way that would work. "I can't tell if you're bullshitting me or serious. I would never— mark my words. Never be second to Giuseppe. Who the fuck do you think I am?"

"That's your problem, Ardo. You're ungrateful! Padre, Nonno, and Zio Giovanni have been nothing but good to you. Nonno knew Padre wasn't his son, but he treated him as he was... he treated us like his grandchildren, and you turned around and gave them your ass to kiss—Does it even bother you that you killed an innocent little girl? Your little sister. Does it haunt your dreams at night?"