Earn my Trust

Almost a month later Regenia was still trying to find the courage to speak to her dad as she paced the floor in her home back in Italy

Almost a month later Regenia was still trying to find the courage to speak to her dad as she paced the floor in her home back in Italy. However, she was confused as she tried to understand how he was alive. She knew what she saw... the nurses working on him as he code. Regenia also touched his cold, lifeless body as he laid in the casket. None of this made sense to her, and she wanted to know why her father didn't feel the need to fill her in on his plan. There had to be more to the story, but it seemed like he was avoiding her and the rest of them. Regenia didn't like it, and it made her not trust her father. Somewhere, deep down, she felt like he was running from something. Maybe that's why he wanted her to marry Giuseppe, which caused her mind to wander back to the note he left her. The one she kept with her always; 'You know what you must do.'

Regenia knew there was more to it, but she led herself to believe it was about her questioning whether she should marry Giuseppe. Still, her actions were because she wanted him, not her dad's unclear note. "There you are, Uccellino. I swear you've been hiding from me the entire day. I know it's crazy, but we have been home for a month. It's time to—"

"I don't know if we can trust him."

"Who... your Father?" Giuseppe questioned while Regenia sighed and nodded. She knew it was wrong for the thought to cross her mind, but the links he went to fake his death made her wonder. "Sadly, I've been questioning it myself. Jake has always been good to me, but this... faking his death and not telling me or you about it is questionable. How do you think we should address this?" Regenia's head whipped toward her husband, surprised, he asked her what to do. She didn't know either, but deep down inside, she wanted to trust the man.

"I don't know— maybe we should watch him closely. Christmas is right around the corner. Tomorrow to be exact, and I don't want to move so quickly. I... I... I don't want to misjudge the situation. I want to trust him, but he's giving me so many reasons not to." She sighed, wiping away her tears as Giuseppe quickly wrapped her into a loving hug. "Whatever you decide, I'll be right here. It's hard when you think you can't trust a family member. I've been there, especially when it's a parent, and having you by my side helped me through it. Therefore, I will do the same for you."

Regenia smiled, knowing he would, but her emotions about the situation were conflicting. She wanted to wait until after Christmas and watch how her dad interacted with them. She also had the thought to torture the truth out of him, but she couldn't see herself hurting her father. "He's seemed so happy seeing his granddaughter, but I know him—"

"Do you?" Caterina spoke, making Regenia and Giuseppe turn toward her standing in the doorway. She held a smile while bouncing Giovanna on her shoulder. "Of course, I know my dad..."

"Then why are you questioning his decisions? He didn't want to put his daughter in danger. Jake knew Isla was safe because no one knew about her, but the enemies he made certainly knew about you." Regenia and Giuseppe stared at each other briefly and then back at Caterina as she ignored them, cooing at Gia. She knew something Jake wasn't saying, but Regenia didn't understand why he couldn't tell her.