Lies

Again, Regenia was hesitating about what she needed to do

Again, Regenia was hesitating about what she needed to do. She needed to speak with her father to see if she could trust him, but she was scared of the other option. He could be a traitor, and Genia didn't think she could imagine herself taking her Dad's life, but if it was to protect her family, she would. He was gone for a year, and during that year, she had to learn to move on, making a new family, which she would do anything to protect.

"I've been looking for you everywhere, sweet girl," Jake said, but Regenia wasn't ready to be alone with him. Although the children sat with her in the living room, they were too busy watching television while she fed Gia. "It's still hard to believe you're a mother. I always knew you would be a great one. However, I thought Giuseppe would wait at least a year or two before getting you pregnant. He didn't rush you into anything—"

"Okay, Dad, my sex life is none of your business, and Giuseppe didn't rush me into anything. Although, I'm getting the feeling you are trying to change the subject. Tell me the truth, Dad. Giuseppe knew about you being alive, and you made a deal. Your life only if I became his wife. Giuseppe's a smart man and he may be able to hide many things, but I have learned him. Around me he's a terrible liar and just because he thinks he's hiding his body language... he's not. A lot of the mess he told me didn't add up and it had me questioning things... the video he played, how he spoke of you, and how he reacted after his father died. I should be mad it my husband... mad enough to walk away but I love him too fucking much. I know he lied, but in the end it's you who I'm having a hard time trusting. A year... a full year and some months you pretended to be dead. You knew we were in Italy, and Berardo couldn't touch us here. Why didn't you reach out? What was so important than your daughters?" Jake frowned while Regenia glared at the man, waiting for his answer. She could see he didn't have one and was surprised she knew the truth. It wasn't hard to find out, but she was waiting for Giuseppe to open his mouth.

"First of all, Giuseppe—"

"No... No, you don't get to lie. Your lying stops here! I know Giuseppe had a part in this. He threatened to take your life if I didn't agree to marry him. However, he was blowing hot air because you promised me to him without my knowledge. You knew they would place me on his case, which I think you set the whole thing up so everyone could win."

"I never promised you to anyone, and that's the truth. The only thing I'm guilty of is asking Giuseppe to watch over you if something happened to me. He visited me the night before... his men had learned Berardo was coming after me to get to you. Ardo was trying to make you lose your trust in Giuseppe by killing me and wanted you to think Giuse took my life. He bribed the nurses and doctors and paid them more than Berardo did, but it was my idea to have you walk in when you did. You were second-guessing marrying him, and I had to do what was needed."

Maybe they wouldn't be in this place if he had come clean with her. Regenia knew Jake would do anything to protect her, but this was wrong. Faking his death wasn't the answer; at least, that's what she believed. Now, she felt stuck between a rock and a hard place. Something about her Dad felt off, and then again, maybe she felt this because she was angry. Regenia didn't know what to feel or what she could trust, especially when someone was lurking in the shadows, waiting to kill them.