Past and Future

Regenia was still trying to wrap her head around what happened to Giovanni

Regenia was still trying to wrap her head around what happened to Giovanni. The day before, he was his sweet shit-talking self. Now... now he was gone. It was like losing her father all over again. It seemed like every parent figure in her life was leaving her, and she didn't know what she would do if something happened to Caterina, Zoey, or Giovanni Sr. In a short period of time, she had grown to see them as parent figures which she loved, but the worse thing was seeing Giuseppe hurt. He didn't show it much, but seeing his father and planning his funeral stressed him out. Then it was Berardo; they knew the man would show his ugly face. Only he would see this as a perfect opportunity to fight for what he thought was his.

"Hey, you look like you need someone to talk to," River spoke as he walked out onto the terrace. Normally the man would stay to himself, but it seemed he also had something on his mind. Like her, the Romano family had shown River nothing be love. Giuseppe's brothers and cousins showed him how to come out of his shell, and he and Bianca had grown closer.

"Not really. I'm worried about him; Giuse had been a little distant... I know he lost his father, but I want him to know he's not alone. I know the pain he is feeling all too well. What about you? Have you tried speaking with your parents since you've been free? Or are they both still living?" Genia asked as River stared at her crazy momentarily before turning his head. She clearly hit a sensitive spot he didn't want to discuss. "If you don't want to talk about it, I understand. Tell more about you, Riv. You're always quiet, and I get the feeling you're like this because you feel like you're not heard."

"There's nothing to tell—"

"Really? Don't try to pull that damn card with me, River. Talking helps, and I would love to learn more about you... The man behind the mask. If you're going to work for Giuse and me, I think I should know more about you." Again, River sat there biting the inside of his cheek before sighing. Quickly he wiped his hand down his face shaking his head as he opened and shut his mouth. He was battling with himself, or it could have been the fact he liked her, and she wanted to know more about him.

"I was imprisoned for something I didn't do, but you knew that already. I was walking home from work... it was a Saturday evening, and I noticed something lying in the brushes. I should've kept walking, but I saw her foot. Earlier that day, everyone had gotten news of a missing ten-year-old, and I found her, naked, bruised, and barely alive, on the side of the road—"

"Wait, I thought she was dead."

"I thought that too until three years later. I was already in prison, and the little girl told her parent I was the one who saved her. Yeah, they believe her, but the system had another plan... they pin two other murders on me. Both were the same as hers, missing ten-year-olds raped and killed. Despite the little girl's words, Manhattan's prosecutor claimed I felt remorse and turned myself in. I was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and my punishment was supposed to be life in prison— because of my color." He sighed as Regenia placed a hand on top of his. None of that was in his file, and he was clearly framed.