The Hard Truth

Giuseppe couldn't believe he allowed his wife and daughter to talk him into shopping after lunch

Giuseppe couldn't believe he allowed his wife and daughter to talk him into shopping after lunch. Today wasn't the day he wanted to be out and about. The paparazzi were everywhere, and Giuseppe wasn't in the mood for their questions. It wasn't their business what happened to his father, and when his mother was ready for the world to know, he would release his cause of death. Until then, he wanted the bastards to stay out of his face, but the smile his children and wife had on their faces made it worthwhile.

"Why are we in the pet store?" They had been up and down the plaza strip, and finally, they were making their way into a pet store as if they didn't have enough animals at home. Giuseppe was a cat person, and his wife loved dogs. It was good the ones they had at home got along great, but he was unsure about bringing in another animal.

"Regenia—"

"Why are you being bitchy today, Giuseppe? Shopping eases the soul, and our babies want to see the bunnies." Genia spoke, pointing at the two as they played a little white and brown rabbit. "The guard dogs would tear that thing apart, not to mention the cats. We're not getting a rabbit." Quickly both kids looked back at him with sad faces as his phone dinged. Giuseppe hated breaking his children's hearts, but it would hurt worse waking up finding their new fur baby ripped to pieces.

Arianna: The pain in the asshole is set to land around three in the morning. What do you want us to do?

: Nothing. I will inform everyone to keep him at bay. I want to be the one who tells him he's not a Romano and there will be no bloodshed at Padre's funeral, which he knows, and Berardo will respect that. Tomorrow will be a peaceful day, and the week to follow. It's tradition, and he will follow.

Arianna: I'm not too fond of that idea, but it's only right we follow our codice di mafia. It doesn't mean I have to like it.

"What was that about?" Giuseppe sighed loudly, not wanting to worry his wife. He knew her knowing about Berardo would upset her, but he promised himself he would never lie to her. "Ardo is landing later tonight—"

"What are you going to do?"

"Nothing, Uccellino. We're going to honor our mafioso code." Regenia shook her head, turning to leave as Giuseppe swiftly grabbed her arm. "It's tradition, dolcezza (sweetheart). Blood should never be spilled at a funeral or the following week."

"Do you really think Berardo will follow that damn rule, Giuseppe?! He doesn't give a fuck about Papà Gio's death. His only fucking thoughts are taking what's his. He's going to use this to take us down. Open your fucking eyes—"

"Regenia, we're out in fucking public." He said after he quickly pulled her to him. Giuseppe understood she was upset, but this wasn't the time or place to cause conflict. Too many people were around, and some had their phones ready to record. "I know you're upset, Uccellino, but you must understand. There are rules we follow in life and the ones following our deaths. My Padre wouldn't want us to spill blood unless we had to. Berardo will be on his best behavior. If not, I'll take care of him, but I won't give him a chance to. Trust me; I want Berardo dead just as much. It won't be tomorrow or the week to follow."