The Unthinkable

"I don't understand what they want me to do

"I don't understand what they want me to do." Regenia knew it was a hard decision. Losing a parent was never easy. She knew this all so well. Genia had lost two her father and the woman she called her Mom for so long before knowing she wasn't. It was never easy, and she wished she could tell him it got better, but she couldn't. She spoke from experience; the pain only grew, but having others around you who cared helped. Giuseppe helped her after losing her father, and she would help him once he lost his.

"Could you help me? I'm stuck on the colors for this gala. I thought about doing it red, black, and gold, but we did that for the swearing-in." Regenia spoke, making Giuseppe look up. At first, the man looked confused as his pen lifted to his chin in thought. "Maybe white, gold, and silver. We need uplifting colors. Something that would lighten the mood." Regenia smiled, typing down the colors as she continued to watch her husband.

"You want to talk about it?"

"I want to find Berardo and kill him before my Padre dies—"

"Giuseppe—"

"NO, REGENIA, YOU DON'T FUCKING UNDERSTAND! THIS SHIT WAS DROPPED IN MY DAMN LAP! EVERYTHING WAS GOING GOOD! THEN I HAD TO GO TO FUCKING NEW YORK! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH TIME I LOST WITH MY PADRE?! I SHOULD'VE SAID NO! THAT PLACE RUINED MY FUCKING LIFE, AND WHAT DID I GET IN RETURN?!"

Slowly Regenia placed her MacBook on the table before walking to the door. She was trying to be nice but clearing it wasn't working. Giuseppe wasn't himself, or he was returning to his old ways. Not giving a damn about anyone but himself and his children, which meant she meant nothing to him. Pain causes people to do fucked up things, but sometimes it isn't meant to be taken on by yourself.

It hurt Regenia to see him this way, but she wouldn't push the situation. Giuseppe needed time to clear his head, and she hoped he didn't do it by drinking or something else crazy. She had noticed that some of the others had a pill addiction but had never seen Giuseppe consume any himself, but that was the least of her worries as Regenia found herself sitting outside in the dark.

Suddenly tears built up in her eyes as she couldn't stop thinking about how she had lost her father and the hurt that she felt. Right now, she felt like she was alone, and Giuseppe hated her for some odd reason. Her emotions were everywhere until a small hand touched her back. "Why are you sad, Mamma?" Domenico asked, making Regenia quickly wipe away her tears to look at the young boy with a smile. "Mamma not sad—"

"Then why are you crying?" Seeing his concern made Regenia start crying again as Dom quickly hugged her. They were so sweet, and Genia couldn't help but love the two children. Both could've hated her, but they had good hearts taking her in like she was their mother. They were young but smart. "I don't know why I'm crying. Your baby sister makes me do crazy things."

"Or it was Papà. I heard him yelling... do you want me to go beat him up?" He asked, making Regenia laugh, shaking her head. It made her feel good knowing he wanted to protect her, but it was her job to protect him and his sister, which she planned to do. "No, but should you be in bed."