Chapter 35: The World Without Rules I

'The Purgatory itself?'

Their head is puzzled.

Lucifer looks away and falls into his deep thoughts. Satan and Belphegor's words just reminded him of something really important; the key to the solution of their problem. As soon as that thought comes into his mind, the corners of his lips curled up slightly. It is a bit risky but Lucifer knows that it is worth trying.

He stares at each of his brothers several times with hesitation before speaking."...Alright. I'll go and take a look around, searching for clues. The rest of you, stay here and wait. I'll be back."He isn't sure if this is the best decision but he will still do it. He doesn't want to put his brothers into further risk so he forces them to stay at one place.

"..."Beelzebub notices that Lucifer is hiding something from them but he doesn't want to mention it because he respects Lucifer's decision. He trusts the oldest.

Satan nods his head and agrees with Lucifer."Alright. We'll leave the patrol to you."

None of them opposes Lucifer's idea so they let him leave...except Mammon. The demon follows Lucifer's steps sneakily.

But it's not too long until Lucifer notices."Stop following me, Mammon."He can tell from the sound of footsteps even without looking behind.

Mammon insists."Are you sure about goin' alone? Ain't that too dangerous?"He asked and sounded genuinely worried about his older brother.

Lucifer's serious face turns into a wide smirk."Pfft...Dangerous?"He turns his head and raises an eyebrow. He has this cocky and arrogant look on his face, saying something like 'I'm invisible. Nothing is too dangerous for me'.

"I'm just going to take a quick exploration around this area. It won't be long."

Mammon keeps on insisting."But...this is your first time in Purgatory too, right?! Everythin' is so unfamiliar. What if ya got ambushed by somethin'? What if ya get lost somewhere? Are you sure ya don't need a company?"He doesn't even bother to hide his worries and fear from Lucifer.

Lucifer stops stepping forward but his back is still facing Mammon. He looks over his shoulder and sighs."Who do you think I'm to be worried of?"There's a tone of arrogance in his stern voice. He refuses to argue any further and continues to walk."Take care of our brothers while I'm gone."

Mammon can't persuade the oldest. He feels so annoyed at Lucifer but there's nothing he can do about it. Lucifer is always like that...too stubborn to ask for help. Nevertheless, Mammon trusts Lucifer and let him act alone because he is aware of how powerful his older brother is. With a low step, Mammon turns around and walks towards the opposite direction of Lucifer's.

There is an open space like a burned grass field. It is a bit secluded and far from stray monsters. The five brothers decided to stay and take a little rest under a giant dried tree. As soon as Mammon shows up, Leviathan approaches and asks him curiously.

"Where did you go?"

"That jerk is too arrogant. Always actin' alone. What's the harm askin' for our help?"Mammon grumbles.

Leviathan knows that Mammon is talking about Lucifer."What do you expect from the Avatar of Pride? We all know he's always like that."Replied him with a sign of frustration under his voice. He feels the same way as Mammon.

Since Lucifer is gone, Mammon and Leviathan suddenly feel the sense of responsibility as the two oldest to watch after their younger brothers. They never really felt this way in Devildom before.

Belphegor is fully awake now. He is sitting crosses-legged next to Satan while staring at the book. Both demons are thinking deeply about how to use the book because this is the only clue they have for now. If the book can't help, how can they return to Devildom? The worst case scenario...they might be trapped in Purgatory forever.