Chapter 31: What It Takes To Be A Leader

Devildom...a long long time ago...

All VIPs and guests gather in the grand hall of the demon king castle for a big ceremony. To celebrate the appointment of the new leader of the Purgatory, the first demon king invited all demons to gather for the ceremony. The event went smoothly and was a success on that day. It was one of the biggest events in Devildom.

As soon as the ceremony ended and the guests left, the castle servants started to clean up the ballroom and its vicinity. Even though most of the guests and VIPs have left the hall, Behemoth was still there, standing at the corner of the hall and watching the maids and servants cleaning up the area. He leans against the wall with an empty glass of wine between his fingers. He was spacing out until a demon approaches him.

"...I heard that the first demon king has appointed you as his first General, which makes you the leader. Congratulations!"

"!"

Behemoth was startled and snapped out from his daydreaming. He lifts up his head and sees Barbatos smiling at him warmly. Barbatos voluntarily pours a demonus into the glass of wine in Behemoth's grip.

"Oh...thank you...sorry...I feel a little dizzy..."Behemoth presses his forehead and takes a deep breathe. He accepts Barbatos's kindness and friendliness toward him even though he's not feeling well.

"Are you drunk?"Asked Barbatos with concern.

"No...no...Normal demonus has no effect on me...I'm just feeling a little bit overwhelmed today."

Barbatos smiles and stands next to Behemoth."Today is a big celebration of a new General. This is the day where all demons celebrate you, the leader of the Generals of Purgatory. You're the star of the day. If I'm not being rude, may I ask what's bothering you, Behemoth? I suppose you should be proud and happy."

Behemoth looks down and frowns. He takes a sip on the glass before answering."It's not like I don't feel happy or gratitude toward his majesty. In fact, I respect his decision. If he wants to appoint me to be the leader, so be it. But...why though? If he wants to appoint someone to lead the Generals of Purgatory, he should appoint a demon from Purgatory. So...why did he choose me? I'm from Devildom, not Purgatory...It just doesn't make sense to me."He rubs his forehead, still feeling dizzy.

Barbatos chuckles a bit after listening to Behemoth's rant."Perhaps his majesty has his own reason? He might has seen something special inside you compared to those demons from Purgatory."

"..."Behemoth feels a little embarrassed. His face turns red.

Barbatos stares at Behemoth's reaction in amusement."My, my...You're rather a humble demon, aren't you? Being appointed by his majesty himself is such a great honor. Be proud of it."He taps Behemoth's shoulder to calm him down.

Being comforted by a total stranger is so awkward. Behemoth didn't mean to shows this side of him to someone he'd never met before. He wonders why Barbatos is being too kind and friendly toward him. Even though he doesn't know who Barbatos is, he feels safe and comfortable around the demon.

After that, they chat and talk to each other for a while. Behemoth is surprised to learn that Barbatos knows a lot of thing about the castle management. He's getting more and more intrigued the longer he chats with Barbatos.

"Whoa...You're pretty knowledgeable. I'm sorry I didn't recognise you. Do you work here? Perhaps..."Behemoth looks down and analyzes Barbatos's outfit."...Perhaps you're a butler?"

"Butler?"Barbatos giggles and smirks."No...no. I don't work here. I'm from outside. A traveler from afar."

Behemoth laughs as well."Ahh...I see...No wonder I don't recognise you. You're a guest from afar. How rude I was...treating a guest like this."