Chapter 33: The Sin From Past

Somewhere on the western side...

Two demons are lurking in the the dark; a male and female demon. The female one has this mischievous smile planted on her face while the male one is just watching her silently.

"This is seriously one of the worst plans I've ever heard."Complained Vepar in his hoarse voice to his partner, Anqa. The look of disapproval on his face can't be any worse. Those two were hiding behind the bushes, observing the surroundings like a wolf waiting for its prey.

Anqa who was squatting look up at Vepar who was standing behind her."Huh? Why? I thought this plan of mine is awesome. Don't you agree?"Asked her with innocent eyes. She seems unaware that Vepar was criticizing her.

"Awesome?"He slaps his forehead in annoyance as if he's not used to her antic already. He takes a look at what's in front of them again.

There is an empty grass area before them. Wide enough to fit a hut. Anqa filled the area with a huge basket, large enough to fit one person. The magic basket is placed upside down supported by a metal pole at the edge. The pole is tied with a rope with its end held by her. She laid down some bright blue crystals under the basket.

"Don't you think this trap is genius?"Asked her again.

Vepar takes a deep breath before responding to her."I don't think so...This is no different than an animal trap! You put some food under the basket, lure your prey in and pull the rope to trap them underneath. Who do you think Mammon is? A chicken? A bird?"

"But I didn't put food! I put crystals there! The Avatar of Greed can't resist expensive things like those!"

He sighs once more."You didn't put food, yes, I can see that...But...that's not my point! The trap is too obvious! Anyone with eyes can tell!"He feels so annoyed that he slightly pulls Anqa's low ponytail roughly.

"We would not know unless we try!"She pushes his hand away and gives a sly smile. She puts an index finger on her lips."Now shut up and do your job."

"I've already got him with my sword. Is this even necessary?"

"Just watch. I'll pull the rope once he's in."

"Tch! Fine..."Vepar finally gives up and let her do what she wants. He doesn't want to deal with her confidence anymore.

Up to the sky, Mammon starts to get so annoyed and angry. The sword keeps messing and toying with him, dragging him to random places. Still in mid-air, he guides the sword downward and forces it to crash down to the ground. Once the sword thrusted down and stop moving, the rope slowly loosens and finally releases his grips from the handle. Now that he is free, Mammon breathes a sigh of relief. There are some red marks left on his hands but it doesn't hurt much so he just ignores it.

"Dammit...Now where the hell am I?"Mammon looks around at his surroundings for a while. He doesn't know where the sword has brought him to but he assumes he is in another part of the the forest. Means...he is far from Asmodeus's place. 

While he is debating with himself whether to go back to his brother or not, he stumbles upon Anqa's trap. Naturally, from his perspective, it's quite obvious that it's a trap and he knows it. Any sane person will avoid getting closer to it.

Anqa and Vepar just silently and patiently watch him from the bushes. He whispers to her next to him.

"He look suspicious. I told you he wouldn't fall for it. Let's just go and deal with him directly—"Vepar grips his sword but when he is about to step out of his hiding, Anqa grabs his wrist and pulls him back.

"Wait. Look."She points her finger.

"?"

From their spot, they can see Mammon approaching the basket slowly. There is a frown carved between his eyebrows.