Chapter 1 - Assurance

The hot tears threaten to spill from my eyes as I keep my stare down on the hospital floor

I hold on to my breath as if that's going to help the tears not fall faster. It's not until I make it to the office, and I burst through the door that the tears finally begin to fall.

Catalina looks up from the papers in front of her in concern and then immediately stands up walking right toward me. She immediately pulls me into her arms without questions and she gives me one of her usual comforting hugs as I helplessly cry on her shoulder.

"Lucia, what's wrong?" She asks in a very worried tone.

She pulls back after a while when I don't respond, wiping my tears for me. All it takes is one look at my face for her to know what is wrong.

"He's making me get married." I still tell her, and she pulls me into her arms again.

"I'm so sorry. You don't know how much I wish this stupid idea never occurred to our father." She soothingly rubs my back just as she would when we were little girls. It has always been so comforting to have her as my sister she is so strong, and just such an amazing person overall.

"It's so stupid." I sob and she hums.

"Come take a seat and let's relax, okay?" She pulls back with a warm smile and takes my hands in hers leading me to a chair that is across her desk.

She's still a medical resident but since our papa owns the hospital, he ordered that she has an office. I love my sister and she has taken care of me since the moment I was born. She's the most amazing person on this earth and an amazing mother too although she doesn't see it that way sometimes.

I take a seat and she sits in the chair beside me. She hands me the tissue box from her desk, and I quietly thank her before cleaning my nose and eyes.

"When did he tell you?" She asks giving me her full attention.

"This morning. I didn't even get to finish my breakfast before he just casually let me know." I lean back in the chair folding the tissue in my hand.

"And did he tell you who the man is?"

I nod in response and to be honest it makes it less horrible in a way...I think.

"Eric."

"Eric?"

"Eric Donnelley." I specify because we haven't seen the guy since I was like twelve and she was like fourteen.

"You're getting married to a Donnelley..." She bites her bottom lip in thought.

"It's not that bad..." I say out loud and she looks at me again with raised eyebrows.

"As kids that guy was obsessed with you. For all you know he is probably a creep now." She states and I feel a little panic.

"Or maybe he isn't, and he is actually a nice guy. It was probably just a phase." She immediately says with a small smile.