Chapter 44 - Burner Phone

"The bodyguards are distracted, and your girl is right there

"The bodyguards are distracted, and your girl is right there." Silas speaks, putting his sunglasses on.

I'm so desperate to see her and to have her close that I don't waste a second before leaving the car. I hear Silas's footsteps behind me as we approach her. Her face drops the moment she notices us but in specific me.

She avoids eye contact and tries to walk away but I instantly stop her. She's on her usual walk with Dahlia in her stroller. One of Silas's men has been watching her so that we can perfect a way to get to her without Eric ever knowing.

"Lucia." I gently take her face in my hands.

When she looks at me her eyes immediately tear up. The heartbreak evident in her eyes pains me and it hurts even more when she suddenly hugs me breaking into tears.

Silas takes the stroller with Dahlia a few steps back to give us some sort of privacy.

I immediately hug my love back and tightly. I've missed her so damn much and I knew that she lied and that she still loves me. She has to still love me because I'm sure that it isn't possible to fake what happened between us.

I kiss her head as she cries while I hold her. I have a horrible feeling that the fucking bastard did something to her.

"What did he do to you?" I force myself to pull away from her to look at her pretty eyes that are filled with nothing but pure sadness and misery.

"Nothing." Her mood suddenly takes a dramatic change. She wipes her eyes and steps away from me.

My eyes suddenly go to the silk scarf wrapped around her neck. My first thought is that he put his hands on her so without thinking I pull the scarf off her. She doesn't react in time, so I get to see the bruises on her neck.

The amount of rage that takes over my body is unexplainable. I can't wait to finally get my hands on that motherfucker. I'm going to make sure he feels all the pain that he has caused my family and Lucia.

"How did this get here, Lucia? I don't want any more lies." I let her take the scarf back from my hand.

She stays quiet wrapping it around her neck once more. She still refuses to look at me. I'm sure that getting her to talk is going to be difficult. There is something that isn't letting her.

"Who did that to you?" I try to push. They're bruises from what clearly seems like strangulation.

She doesn't have to say a word for me to know that it was her husband.

"He tried to strangle you." I state and her silence once again answers everything.

"It's not a big deal. We were arguing and things got a little out of control." She tries to justify it and him.

"A little?!" It pisses me off how she is acting. How can she possibly think this is okay?

"Lucia, he tried to strangle you. That isn't fucking normal." I calm myself down when seeing how fragile she seems.

"Sunflower." I take her face in my hands, and I give her a big kiss on the forehead. "I'm going to save you. I promised so I will do it."

"No, there is nothing to save me from." There is fear in her eyes, but I don't understand what she is afraid of. Is she scared that he will hurt her worse?

"I don't care what you say or how much you refuse it. You will be free." I give her another kiss on the forehead.

"I love you, Lucia. Understand that I will never let you go through anything alone. My eyes and mind don't see anything else apart from you. Even in my dreams you haunt me and even with closed eyes I find you." I express as best as I can in hopes that she will understand.

"If I still have some heart left, it is only for you, girasole." I pull out the burner phone from my jacket handing it to her.

She doesn't take it, so I slide it into the pocket of her jacket. "Call me immediately if you or Dahlia are in any danger. I will come for you immediately. I won't let him harm you any longer."

"Please, amore." I lean my forehead against hers, looking into her eyes, practically begging her with the way I am looking at her.

"We've got to go, Ace." Silas speaks up, forcing me to back away from her as much as I hate it. All I want is to take her with me, but I can't, I can't force her.

I give her another kiss and I take a look at Dahlia before walking away with Silas. I look back at her to see her put the phone in her bag before continuing with her walk while pushing Dahlia's stroller.

"Is she okay?" Silas questions even though he heard everything.

"No, but she won't admit it."

"The motherfucker is probably threatening her. It's pretty clear." He states, pulling out a small clear plastic bag and a napkin. The bag has a pink pacifier inside.

"I got the pacifier and a strand of hair in the napkin."

"You didn't pull her hair out, did you?" I immediately feel myself get protective over the little girl.

"No, I'm not fucking stupid. I saw it on her blanket." He gives me the items and then starts the car.

I stare down at the bag and napkin. They're holding the answer on whether I am a father or not.

__

"Good afternoon, how may I help you?" The young woman at the front desk greets me.

"Good afternoon, I want to take a DNA test."

"Of course, do you have a sample of the child's DNA?" She questions and I place the clear bag and napkin on the desk.

"I have a pacifier and a strand of hair. I want to know if this girl is my daughter." I inform her and she nods retrieving the items.

"I'm going to need you to fill out these documents. When you're finished give them to me and then we can continue with the process." She starts printing out papers.

For the first time in a while, I feel so much anxiety. A big part of me hopes that Dahlia is my daughter, but I know that if she isn't I will love her as if she was. If she isn't I know Lucia will have an explanation for it. Regardless of what the results are I will be fine, and we will be a happy family.

"Here you go, sir." The woman hands me a clipboard with the papers and a pen.

"Thank you." I go to take a seat in the waiting area and within a few minutes I have all the paperwork filled out.

I stand to go back to the woman to hand her the clipboard.

"We're going to check if the samples you provided are enough and if they are we will call you over for a sample of your saliva." She informs me and I only nod going back to wait.

I look over to see a couple with a baby girl. She seems to be a bit younger than Dahlia. I see what a beautiful family they are, and I wonder if I will ever have that. I don't want my story with Lucia to be over. If Dahlia is my daughter, I will be pissed off at Lucia for keeping her from me, but I will make up for the time lost.

It takes probably half an hour before my name is called.

"Marco Bianchi." A different woman calls out and she seems to be a nurse.

"The samples you provided are ideal and now we would need a sample of your saliva. Please follow me."

I do as she says, and I go give the sample. When I've finished, they tell me to go home and that they will call me when they have the results.

I go home with so many thoughts running through my head. One of them being Lucia's bruised neck. I want to go and beat the shit out of that pig, but I fear that if I act stupidly, he will hurt her worse. I can't risk anything, so I have to hold in my rage as painful as it is.

_________________________________