Chapter 59 - Free Woman

Three days ago

Three days ago.

I let go of Eric's leg to try and move the piece of wood out of the way. With a few kicks and a burn to my arm, I am able to unblock the path and kick down the door.

I drag Eric out the burning house as far as I can and into the woods. I have to make it look like he died inside. The moment I am deep inside the forest I hear a big explosion. I turn around to see the house transform into pieces of wood and scraps.

I cough letting myself fall to the ground to catch a break and to let my lungs clear out. I pull the mask off of me, fixing my hair with hands.

I feel my breath shorten as I watch from afar that an ambulance is leaving. All of my men are gone. I'm sure Silas told them to leave before the firefighters and ambulances got here because the cops have also arrived. I feel a bit of peace now that I know Lucia is safe and alive. I'm sure she is being treated and I will be with her very soon.

I watch the firefighters try to put out the fire, but I pass out before I can do or see anything else.

__

I open my eyes to see the night sky above me. I sit up from the dirt filled ground and I groan when I accidentally brush my arm against it. I pull up my sleeve to see a small burn on my skin. It's stinging but I ignore it as I realize Eric is beside me unconscious on the ground. That isn't a position you'd want to be in if I've been waiting years to kill you.

I reach for my pockets to pull my phone out only to find that I don't have it. It must have fell out or I must have left it in Silas's car. Fuck.

I sigh, standing up. I surprisingly don't feel sick or anything which is a good thing.

I reach down to feel for a pulse on Eric. It's very faint but I can't let him die yet. I take him by the legs, dragging him down the small hill I hid us on. I walk all the way back to where a cabin used to be. It's now become a pile of ashes and burnt wood. I drop Eric's leg to go and see if I can find a phone or anything to get in contact with Silas.

I walk around what used to be a Donnelley property. I don't find shit.

I sigh kneeling on the ground for a moment to catch a break. The stinging on my hand has become worse and it's beginning to annoy me. I stand once more to look around the sky for smoke from another cabin nearby. It's cold out so if someone is here there is no doubt they would turn the chimney on.

I find just that.

A few miles away there is smoke. I go back to Eric to search his pockets first for anything. I almost cry from how fucking lucky I've become tonight. I pull out a phone and I find a gun on his waistband. The gun I throw out because I still have mine. I only take the phone and I almost kiss it when it turns on. It's a little cracked but it works magnificently. It's locked but I am still able to make calls. The only number I seem to memorize is Lucia's. I'm sure she won't answer because she is probably at the hospital but maybe someone else will.