Forty Two

As we pulled up to the school, the music could be heard booming from inside the gym. One look over at Dom and I'm relaxed, realizing there is not anywhere else I would rather be in the moment. I cannot believe I asked him to come to prom and I cannot believe he said yes.

In that moment I had so much courage, and I'm struggling to keep it at the level it was at. But with Dom beside me it feels like I can do anything. I don't even know why I'm overreacting, it's senior prom. In a short time it will be graduation and I'll never see most of these people again. I just hope that is not the same for Dom.

I hope he can be there for my birthday as he was for Victoria's, a smile creeping on my face as I think about how he took the time to decorate with me and even made an appearance. The man seems to defy all odds like some higher power.

I look over at him, admiring his suit he has on. He looks great. The black and white stripe vertical stripes accent the light pink gloss on his lips. The black nail polish with pink accenting his middle fingers, gosh, he's so good. Spent proper time putting his outfit together. Making the night about us no matter how many stupid high schoolers are in this building.

The way the parking lot is arranged has us riding up to the school, facing it head on. Two of the valet come to open our doors and Dom looks at me with wide eyes. "What kind of shit is this?" He isn't too critical or even serious but I know he's wanting to laugh about it. I was not expecting a valet either. Oh high school.

The doors begin to open before we can continue the conversation, and Dom reaches into his glovebox at what seems like the speed of light and grabs something that I'm not sure what it is. He doesn't look at me as we both hop out of the car, stepping down onto the concrete.

"Your parking spot is 121," I hear the man say as he points to somewhere in the lot, directing Dom to where we need to go after we decide to leave. I hear him say a thank you, and he quickly runs over to the side to meet me. I say a quick thank you to the woman who opened my door and flash her a grin.

I try not to think about the beads, which really make their appearance known when I make any sudden movement.

"I wanted to open the door for you," he says with a silly pout on his face. That made me smile, and honestly, that's what I wanted to happen too.

Signs all over the building saying PROM in huge letters, crazy colors. Balloons, string, fairy lights, all hanging outside of the school ready to welcome us to whatever we decide to make the night of. There are people out here attending to their duties at prom, asking names of us who are seniors and asking if the person with them is their plus one for the night.

And I am abso-fucking-lutely proud to tell them that Dominic Harrison is my plus one for the night.

"You have plenty of opportunities to do that, like now." I turn to wink at him and he smiles as he pulls open the doors to the building, walking us into the main hallway. The auditorium is to the right and the gym is straight back.

String lights with huge glass bulbs are hanging up in the hall, accented with dark purple and green sheer fabric.

We pass through countless people in this large hallway, drinking from the punch bowl and water container, eating some of the finger sandwiches and small snacks. A chocolate fountain is pouring out, ready to be covering whatever fruit of your choosing.

Strawberries, blueberries, bananas, even pineapples. And the snacks do not stop there. There is a huge bowl of punch in the middle of the largest table, being a true centerpiece.

Dom runs his hands down his tux as we stop, not sure if he's straightening his suit or his nerves. I place a hand on his back and give a few strong runs up and down, letting him know we are here together. I'm sure it can be difficult to be around this many young kids acting stupid at their prom. But I thank him silently in my head once more that he came before doing it aloud again.