Three

One Week Later

I step off of the bus, still having to walk some ways down to get to my house. I'm a senior, I'm supposed to be driving but I guess it's too late for that now. We have two months of school left anyways.

A smile stays etched on my face about the last class I have in the day, psychology. I like learning about how people think and it's the one class I'm really in tune with. I like learning how the brain works and why people act the way they do, and today we actually talked about ADHD. My mind of course etched back to Dom, which made me even more excited to come home. It's been a week, I hope a decision has been made.

I also hope it's the decision I want it to be. I said I'm not gonna get my hopes up, but I already did. I did as soon as I saw that he was looking at the house.

The thoughts find their way to the back of my head as I approach the top of the small hill, my house a few more houses down. I can see it from here, and the house beside us doesn't have any cars in the driveway. There's also no cars at my house, my parents usually don't get home until like six and my little sister doesn't get home until then either as my dad picks her up from her gymnastics or the sitter on days she doesn't go.

A frown is etched upon my lips as I see the house beside mine really is empty, and I sigh. I got my hopes up, sometimes I hate myself.

Like I really allowed myself to get happy about some shit I knew was way too good to be true. Way too good. I now wished that I was in a dream, coming to reality from a dream sounds so much easier than figuring out your actual reality is sad.

I step into my house after unlocking the door. I take my shoes off and head upstairs to my room before placing my bag down.

I slip out of my school clothes and take my bra off before putting on a simple t shirt and black leggings that go to my knees. I look into the body length mirror and look at myself, the pout still on my face.

It's only been a week, maybe it's just taking longer. The more I talk myself into it the more I really do get my hopes up. I keep trying to avoid it but it's like something in me wants to.

My phone starts ringing and I roll my eyes to see that it's Alex. Alex is the guy who's been in love with me for the past week and keeps trying to get me to see him. He's cute, but he's definitely not my type. I don't even know why he's going after me, he's usually around the bimbos on the cheerleading team.

I jump as the doorbell rings, completely pulling me out of my thoughts. What the hell? It's not like mom and dad don't have a key. My heart starts beating against my rib cage, thumping so hard it feels as if it's traveling up my throat, like I'm about to throw it up.

I gulp to keep myself calm and make my way downstairs, not too sure about what I'm about to see. Could be the mailman, could be the other family that was gonna buy the house, could be Vic or Matty, could be Dom.

My thoughts are answered and a sudden wave of almost sadness washes over me when the couple from a week ago appears in front of my door step.

At this point I'm seventy-five percent sure I'm about to be told that they bought the house and they're really excited to be my neighbors. It's sad, but they were nice, and still are nice, of course.

"Hi, we just wanted to thank you again for making us feel so accepted, but we regret to inform you that we feel the house is just not for us. Thank you for the cookies, they were amazing." She hands me a card that has her number on it.

"I have a degree in business and I'm good at what I do, tell your mom to contact me if she ever wants to have a bakery or something." She shrugs, and my jaw slightly drops. I act on impulse and bring the couple in for a hug, able to relax when I feel their grip around me too.

"Thank you. I will definitely give her this. I hope you have success in finding your house." I smile at them, and they keep the smile etched on their face as well.

"Did anybody come to look at it after us?" She asks, and I nod at her. Her eyes light up and she claps her hands together.

"I think those will be your new neighbors. We kinda had dibs on the house, I guess you could say. When we informed them that we were going to keep looking, the company called the next person. They were there before we could even get out of the building. Good size boy, brown hair, real chipper. He seemed really excited, and after seeing that we couldn't buy the house at all anyways if we wanted to." She continues to describe exactly what Dom is like and my heart starts to pick up again. I'm gonna throw up.

Not really, but you know.

"Oh my god." I whisper, and they give me a confused look. "No I'm sorry! He's just, I kinda know him, I guess you could say."

"Oh, very well then. Have a good day Nadia." They wave at me before shutting the door, leaving me with the information I so desperately wanted to hear.