chapter 12

Harry's holidays were frighteningly uneventful, after returning to the orphanage he got a few greetings before he went up to his room. The only excitable event at the orphanage was when the new kid barged into Harry's room and thought it was a good idea to show Harry who is in charge. Harry would grin at the memory, the bully had ended up flinching every time he saw Harry.

Harry had actually spent most of his time going to Delphi's house or writing letters to Fleur. Though there was something that was pretty memorable. Shadow had officially become the personal messenger for when Harry wrote to Fleur, for when Harry wrote to anybody really, it helped that Shadow really approved of the girl. Shadow was having some problem with a house elf that kept trying to steal all of his letters. Shadow had communicated his displeasure at the house elf to Harry.

Harry had a pretty special relationship with Shadow, as far as everyone else was concerned, Shadow was just Harry's familiar. While that was true, Harry felt that their relationship was stronger then one of a master and familiar. Shadow obeyed without question and Harry could understand Shadow despite no words or being said. If they were hungry or sad or happy, the other would know instantly. Of course Harry blocked that off for most of the day but they would check on each other every now and then.

The meeting with the elf was probably the most interesting part of Harry's summer

"You have a present for me boy?" Harry raised an eyebrow as he looked up from a book to see Shadow hover in the air while holding a struggling house elf, by the pillow cloth that he wore, with ease "Drop him" Harry ordered, Shadow let go and the elf fell to the floor just as Shadow flew over and landed on his master's shoulder. Harry put the book down and gave Shadow a few affectionate strokes "good boy, let me deal with this and I'll reward you later" Shadow nodded while looking rather proud. Harry stood up and Shadow jumped off his shoulder and flew to the top of the cupboard which he used as a perch.

"H...hello" The house elf greeted Harry nervously as he stood up "I am Dobby sir, Dobby the house elf"

"Well Dobby the house elf" Harry spoke in a calm voice "perhaps you'd like to tell me why you've been trying to attack my familiar?"

"No sir, Dobby hasn't been trying to attack the great Harry Potter's familiar" Dobby shook his head quickly

"My familiar would disagree" Harry responded as he tapped a rune stone with his wand, the rune stone was a rather brilliant gift from Bellatrix and effectively acted like a silencing charm that Harry could turn on or off. "I mean, once is understandable, twice is a coincidence, three times is suspicious. You've tried to attack him about five or seven times"

"No! Dobby was only trying to steal the letters, Dobby didn't want to hurt the bird. Dobby..." Dobby froze as he realised that he just admitted that he was trying to steal Harry's letters

"Yeah, bit late to go back now" Harry said as he correctly guessed Dobby's thoughts "now why were you trying to steal my letters? Before you answer that, I know you haven't managed to steal any because I only write to Fleur and Delphi and I use Shadow for both of them and they always reply with Shadow."

"Dobby was hoping that if Harry Potter sir did not get any letters then he would be upset and not want to go to Hogwarts" Dobby admitted

"Not go to Hogwarts?" Harry raised an eyebrow

"Harry Potter sir must not go to Hogwarts. There is a great plot, Harry Potter is in danger. Dobby remembers how things were before Harry Potter sir had defeated you-know-who, Harry Potter must not go"

"I don't really have much of a choice" Harry responded while rolling his eyes at the dramatic elf "I..."

"But sir" Dobby cut him off "there is much danger, Dobby will stop Harry Potter sir from going if he must"