CH 1.2 What Do You Want?

Rile and Cale stood side-by-side on the second story stoop outside of Alex's apartment. The morning sun had barely started to peek over the horizon when Rile stood impatiently as Cale held a key in one hand.

Rile said, "Open the door, Cale. You have a key."

"I'm knocking," Cale said with an exasperated sigh, "It's called being polite."

"It's called being inefficient," Rile retorted, "We won't see what's going on, either. I told you we shouldn't have waited until the morning."

Cale's voice softened as he spoke, but the underlying frustration still hung in the air. He gently shook his head and reached out to grab Rile's arm, trying to keep him from knocking. "You didn't listen to me," Cale said. "Every time you tried to walk away, I beat you with my staff."

Rile laughed harshly and yanked his arm back, avoiding Cale's touch. "Next time, we're wrestling," he said, a challenge in his voice. "I always win at that."

Cale rapped his knuckles against the door, and after a few moments of silence, he inserted his key into the lock. He twisted it, and pushed the door open a few inches. "Alex!" he called out, but his only answer was an eerie quiet. Cale gestured for Rile to enter, and as they stepped into the apartment, they saw that the kitchenette and living room were vacant. Cale glanced down the hallway, toward the bedroom. A thin stream of steam had seeped from underneath the bedroom door.

"I hear the shower," Cale said quietly, nodding towards the bedroom. "Let's go."

"You go." Rile walked to the bedroom door and laid his head against it. "Shower is correct."

Rage burned in Rile's eyes and his claws dug into the wall, and he pulled them down. Pieces of plaster rained to the ground. With a huff, he pushed away from the door and marched into the kitchenette, yanking open the freezer. He grabbed the ice cube bin and dumped its contents into a glass pitcher with an angry clatter.

"What are you doing?" Cale asked, fear raising his voice an octave.

"Shut up and watch." Rile filled the pitcher with water before stalking out of the kitchenette and towards the bedroom door.

"Rile, whatever you're doing, stop," Cale pleaded desperately.

Rile shook his head at Cale and marched into the bedroom. Cale retreated to the front door, bracing himself as he heard Alex's piercing scream and Gabe's low, menacing hiss-growl. Suddenly, Rile came barreling out of the bedroom, running for his life, only to be tackled by his eldest brother, whose body glistened with water and rage.

Gabe's face was twisted in rage as he shouted "I'll kill you!" and the two of them clashed in a tangle of limbs.

Alex burst out the bedroom, her wild eyes searching for Rile. She lunged forward and slammed him with enough force to cause Gabe to step back, giving her enough room to jump between them. "Let me do it!" she shouted.

"What are you wearing?" Rile held off Alex's hands and stared at the shimmering cloth that covered her from her neck to the top of her legs.

"They're called bathing suits." Alex's neuro-electric blast went wide, sending Gabe and Cale scrambling.

"You're in the shower together and both of you are wearing clothing?" Rile laughed.

Alex's clammy palm slid out of Rile's grasp and she aimed her blast at him. He lunged to the side, just managing to avoid being hit by the blast as he ducked behind the couch. Gabe dove towards him, tackling him back to the ground.

"Please don't kill him," Cale pleaded. "We need him in the future."

"That's right, your future - without me," Alex croaked out, hugging her arms close to her body as a chill ran through her bones. "Let him go, Gabe. I'm getting a towel; I'm cold."