CH. 4.2 Krav Maga Training and Seafood

Alex reluctantly pried her eyes open at the sound of her alarm. She groaned, feeling the fatigue resting heavily on her body from patrolling late into the night. But while she loathed awakening early, it was to attend Krav Maga training, which she loved. She changed quickly into her workout clothes and drove to Jason's studio.

When she arrived, Jason greeted her with a bow and the words, "Ready, Alex?"

"Yes, sir. To give bruises only, never get them, from now on." Alex said confidently.

The warm up and stretching exercises were torturous. Alex wanted nothing more than to start working - but she forced herself to stay focused until they were finished. When they were done, she eagerly grabbed a kick shield and threw it in front of her chest before settling into a fighting stance. Jason smiled at her enthusiasm.

*****

Alex and Jason stood in the center of the studio, their faces flushed from training. After an hour of punches and kicks, Alex wiped her sweaty forehead with the back of her hand before speaking. "That was our tenth session," she said to Jason, who nodded. "We're even now. I have a present for you."

She grabbed her gym bag from the locker. "Let's talk at Joni's Seafood," she added with a grin. "It's noisy and crowded and I'm not coming onto you by inviting you there."

The morning sun filtered through the grime-covered windows of the cramped seafood shop, casting a dim glow on the yellowed and cracked tiles. A symphony of boiling pots and sizzling skillets played from behind the long glass counters that lined the walls.

Customers strolled in, their nostrils twitching with anticipation as they drank in the aroma of simmering spices and fresh seafood. They ordered at the glass cases, where glistening fish eyes stared back at them. Customers carried out brown bags stuffed with New Orleans' culinary treasures.

Alex managed to snag an empty table with two chairs - a mismatched set that wobbled if you shifted your weight. From her seat, she could admire the ancient tables with iron legs, linoleum tops, and well-worn carvings. Through the dingy window beside her, she saw an empty lot littered with cracked concrete, weeds, and trash. But nobody came for the view; people came for the food.

"Guard the table. I'm ordering a stuffed artichoke. You want crawfish and beer and what else?" Alex asked.

"That's good. Dogfish Head beer, please. No light crap."

Alex placed her order, then waited at the counter as the short, plump Hispanic lady bustled behind it. The smell of grease and garlic filled the air as she carefully wrapped up the food, her thick black hair barely contained by a fraying hairnet. With an appreciative smile, Alex shoved some extra cash into her hand and gave a nod. Alex was one of her regulars and always made sure to get her a stuffed artichoke when they ran low.

Alex watched Jason as he worked to extract the tender juices of a crawfish head. She waited until he had drawn every possible flavor from the morsel before dropping her bombshell. "We're done. I know you want to enter nursing school and you're accepted in West Texas."

Jason's eyes rolled in frustration, but his mouth stayed shut - the crawfish head was not yet defeated. As its last few succulent drops were wrung out, he finally gasped, "What?"

Alex repeated slowly, emphasizing each word for effect, "University of Texas at El Paso. Oldest nursing school west of Mississippi."

"How did you arrange that when I didn't even apply?" Jason shook his head, puzzled, and took a long sip on the cold beer in his hand.

"I applied for you." Alex smiled as she wiped her hands on the fabric of her jeans and then reached inside her bag. She pulled out an official-looking folder, its edges crisp and sharp. She handed Jason a napkin and waited patiently while he wiped his fingers. He grabbed the folder and slowly leafed through it, his expression growing more surprised with each page.