CH 1.3 Verbal Sparring

Rile watched as Alex bent over her sneakers, yanking at the laces until the knots were tight enough to secure them. She swept her right shoulder-length hair into a ponytail and ran her fingers through what remained of her once-shaved hair on the left side. The short strands barely reached her craniotomy scar and she couldn't decide if it made her look vulnerable or mysterious. She was glad to have it when she was trolling for muggers and rapists because she felt they were looking for wounded prey.

Gabe sat on the couch, rubbing a soft cloth along the length of his scabbard. Cale was engrossed in his heavy tome, which had been gifted to him by the Portal Guardian. His finger traced each page as if reading an ancient map, and he paused often as if searching for something hidden between the lines.

"Where are you going?" Rile asked Alex, but she refused to meet his gaze.

"The gym," Alex said in a clipped tone.

"What's that?" Rile asked, feeling confused by her evasive answer.

"It's only a place where humans run around and lift heavy objects," Alex said with a forced chuckle, avoiding eye contact with Rile.

He raised an eye-ridge, intrigued by the idea of such activity and the mystery surrounding Alex's destination. "Sounds interesting," he replied.

"It's just a gym, nothing special," Alex protested, arms crossed in frustration.

Rile grinned, undeterred by her outburst. "I'd still love to check it out. There's bound to be something interesting going on in a place like that."

Alex scoffed and shook her head. "You can't go there. People don't wear much clothing and it's close quarters--your disguising ability won't hold up." She jabbed a finger at him for emphasis.

He flashed his signature mischievous grin. "Even better."

"It is not better." Frustrated, Alex looked to Gabe for help, but he looked noncommittal.

Gabe said, a hint of irritation coloring his voice, "You've sided too many times with Rile against me. Now you can deal with him when he's being a biting flea."

"Yes, she has sided with me many times, and yes, she must deal with me." Rile exhaled, his chest puffed out like he had won a battle. The smirk on his face earned him an icy glare from Gabe. He slowly opened his mouth to speak again, this time in a more diplomatic tone to Alex. "I'll be adequately disguised. Let me show you." Rile disappeared into the bedroom.

Desperation hung heavily in Alex's voice as she begged for help from Gabe. "Can't you talk some sense into him?"

Gabe didn't even look up at Alex as he picked up a cloth and started to clean his well-worn leather sword belt. "Have you ever seen me succeed?" He asked coldly, and then continued to pretend Alex wasn't there.

Rile came back dressed in a baggy pair of navy blue sweatpants and a matching zip-up hoodie. He had pulled the hood snugly over his head. Atop the hood rested a black baseball cap with white embroidered letters that read "Saints".

Alex stared at him in disbelief, her mouth slightly agape, and shook her head. "Rile, you look like a 'gangsta'. You've been planning this, haven't you?"

"I did a little research," Rile said with a smirk as he tugged down his cap

"Rile, no," Alex whined.

Rile crossed his arms over his chest and shook his head. "I'll go without you," he said firmly.

"If you show up at my gym, at any gym, looking like that," Alex gestured to Rile's outfit, "they will call the police."

Rile scoffed. "Then I better come as your guest." He gave Gabe a sideways glance before following Alex out of the room.