CH 18.2 Going Home with Na

Razz shuffled to the podium, his weary feet and lagging heart carrying him through a fog of grief. He paused for a moment before resting his heavy arms on the stand.

"It is my sad duty to inform you of three deaths." "It is my sad duty to inform you..." His voice cracked, and he had to bow his head to collect himself. With a deep breath, he continued. "The child Na died from injuries inflicted by his mother Cla, despite his rescue by Alex. In retribution, she challenged Cla. Both died in the resulting duel. The bodies of Alex and Na were claimed by her friends so they could be buried together. The Anolis warriors took Cla's body of Cla was taken."

Razz's gaze swept across the crowd of extremists, where some were sporting smug smirks that cut through him like daggers. A sudden wave of rage engulfed him. He hated himself for using their idea and hated that it was working so well. He felt Zilik's hand on his shoulder. "I want to strangle them," he whispered, as he reluctantly returned to his seat..

Zilik stepped up to the podium, his green hide seeming to almost glimmer in the light. He cleared his throat and began, "I'd like to take a few moments to remember Alex—for her fight for Anolis males who were considered no better than property." He looked out over the small crowd of extremists whose expressions ranged from agreement to wariness. "She didn't shy away from standing up for what she believed in even when it threatened her image, her politics or even her own life."

He paused again. "It was most un-Chameleon, but I respect her for it. We should not let her death be in vain. Children are not property, any more than males. No one has the right to injure or kill a child, not even the parents. Discipline, yes. Injure, no. We must bring this truth to all societies on our world."

A wave of respectful applause echoed through the room and Zilik looked satisfied.

***

Floating to consciousness, Alex was first aware of a thudding pain radiating from her side. Then she felt the distinct sensation of being watched and cracked open her eyes to see a wide-eyed little one staring back at her.

"Na?" she managed hoarsely.

"Tia? You're awake? Are you okay?" the child asked anxiously, leaning forward and nuzzled her hand.

Their voices must have roused Gabe, who had been dozing off in a nearby armchair, for he stirred and rose to his feet.

"Where are we?" Alex directed her question to Na as Gabe rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

"With my dad and uncles and cousins," Na answered cheerfully.

Relief flooded through Alex and she smiled at Gabe as he settled down on the bed beside her and gently laid his disfigured hand over hers.

Na scrambled onto the bed beside Alex and smiled, relieved. "There's a lady who kinda looks like you,"

"She's my sister." Alex said.

Na nodded, apparently accepting her explanation.

"How are you feeling?" Gabe asked Alex quietly.

"Great, now." Alex raised his hand and pressed it gently to her cheek, careful not to strain the damaged joints. His touch sent warmth radiating throughout her.

Na looked nervously between Alex and Gabe, his small hands clasped tightly together. When Alex extended her arm and placed a reassuring hand on Na's shoulder, the boy exhaled with relief.

Gabe smiled fondly at the pair. "Since we brought you home from the hospital, this one has been like a shadow following you around—we didn't even have to ask him to stay. Our Alex was so kind to set him up with meals in here while you were out."