CH 2.3 Dancing with Cale and Rile

It had taken Cale several days to work up the courage to confront Alex. When he finally mustered the nerve, he made sure to time his visit when Gabe was away and Rile was still in Alex's apartment. That could be an advantage he could use..

"I want to learn more Earth dances," Cale said with a hint of excitement in his voice.

Alex immediately shook her head and furrowed her brow. Rile stopped mid-stroke with the whetstone on his sword. He slowly raised his gaze from the blade to meet Cale's eyes.

"Why not?" Cale said, his voice light. "You and Rile go dancing."

Alex narrowed her eyes at Rile, who held up his hands in surrender.

He smiled over Alex's expression, seemingly undaunted by her accusatory stare. "I didn't tell him, I swear. Were you watching us, stalker?" Rile teased, using her own word for the situation.

Cale's eyes twinkled as he let out a rolling laugh and flicked his tongue at his youngest brother. "I guessed it, and Alex confirmed it."

"Fire truck. Cale, you are becoming sneaky and underhanded." Alex put her hands on her hips and tried to look stern, but a tiny smile tugged at the corner of her mouth.

"As long as you teach me more dancing," Cale said with an easy smile, anticipation sparkling in his eyes.

"No."

"I'll go out and learn it on my own," he said with a shrug, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Fire truck no!" Alex gave an exasperated sigh and flopped next to Rile on the couch. "Rile, do something. Suggest something helpful." Her voice was pleading now.

"What do you suggest? Want me to wrestle him down and you tie him up?"

Alex wrinkled her nose. "Ick! Rile, suggest something helpful. What's dancing like on Olam?"

"Each clan has its own dancing patterns, either in a circle or a rectangle." Rile lifted his sword and examined the edge. "Boring."

Alex's gaze raked Cale up and down. "Okay. Country line dancing again. Not boring and no one on one. Rile, keep Gabe busy tonight."

Rile groaned dramatically. "Why do I get stuck with Mr. Perfect Eldest Son?"

"You owe me," Cale said. "I'm always stuck with him."

"Cale, you feel that way about Gabe?" Alex looked at him in surprise.

"I want some fun, too," he replied. "Why wouldn't I?"

"But you're an apprentice priest!" Alex pointed out.

"I apprenticed with the priest one dry season. How many times do I have to say it?" Cale hissed in frustration.

Alex bumped shoulders with Rile. "It's so easy to yank his chain about that, isn't it?"

Rile flashed her a mischievous smile. "Amusing, too."

"May we leave now? I'd like dinner first," Cale said.

Alex chewed her lip and evaluated him closely. "Aren't we becoming the pushy one as well as sneaky and underhanded? I think you need more apprenticing with another priest. The Portal Guardian better take y'all back soon."

Rile ran his fingers along the hilt of his sword before slowly re-sheathing it. "I don't want to go back."

"This is not the time or place for that discussion." Cale's voice was steady and level. "Keep Gabe busy while Alex and I leave."

Rile stood, hefted his staff and with a flourish twirled it around. "One distraction coming up."

Alex checked her watch as she watched him go, then grabbed Cale's hand. "We have to move fast. Grab onto me and hold tight."