CH 14.3 I Shall Taunt You a Second Time

Dawn's faint light filtered through the room as Gabe slowly sat up on the bed. This time, he waited for Alex to awaken. He stayed perfectly still as she gazed around wildly, hair askew, hand flaring red. He smiled reassuringly and held up his hands, fingers bent at odd angles. When she saw his fingers, she breathed out and the red power from her hand died.

"We should return to the main house before the others awaken. Are you okay?" he asked.

Alex nodded silently in response and allowed him to help her stand up. As they stepped outside of the old hunting cabin, she looked back with curiosity, "What is this place?"

Gabe smiled fondly. "An old hunting cabin; there are several on the grounds but this one is in pretty good shape."

***

The old-fashioned rotary phone on the counter suddenly jangled, ringing in the silence. The older Alex moved to answer it first, her limp hair swaying against her shoulder as she picked up the receiver. She listened for a few moments before speaking with a few curt 'yes' responses, then hung up the phone. Apologetic eyes met her guests'.

"I must leave right now. It's urgent."

"Mom's in the FBI like James Bond," Caleb said proudly.

"James Bond isn't in the FBI," Rafe shot back scornfully, "And Mom's in the CIA, stupid. We're not supposed to tell anyone."

"You just did," objected Caleb. "Anyway, she must be okay or she wouldn't have to go."

"Stop fighting, you two," Alex chided them gently. "Rafe, don't call your brother stupid." Turning away from her sons, she walked into her bedroom and emerged wearing all black clothing; a plainer version of the younger Alex's leather gear.

"I'll see you later. I doubt this will take overnight," she said as she kissed her sons goodbye and rushed out.

***

Gabe and the younger Alex snuck away to the abandoned cabin each night after Caleb and Rafe had gone to bed. On the third morning, Gabe was awoken by Alex's shivering body beside him. He frowned in concern as he brushed her clammy forehead with his mangled fingers. Alex murmured and moaned in her sleep, so he kissed her forehead, cheeks, and neck until her eyes fluttered open.

But the moment she awoke, Gabe froze stock still as Alex assessed her situation. Her confusion worsened by fever, both hands glowed red and fear shone through her eyes. When she looked at him, Gabe held up his hands. The sight of the twisted fingers always reassured her and brought out her instincts to help him. She sat up and stopped the red fire. She cupped his hands in hers and started a low-level white glow.

"Alex, you are hot even for a mammal. What is wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing," she murmured and kissed his fingers.

"Ah, you're a clever one," he replied. "Trying to distract me. But your health takes precedence over my pleasure."

"Our pleasure," she said between kisses.

He pulled her close and wrapped her in his arms. He nibbled her neck and then said, "Tell me what's wrong, please, or I'll sic Rile on you."

"No, not that," she said in fake horror. "Anything but that."

"Then tell me or I shall taunt you a second time."

"Ah, my counterpart properly schooled you in Monty Python I see."

Gabe kissed her nose. "Yes, and please stop stalling. What did Morgan do to you that has made you sick?"

She stiffened in his arms. "No one said anything about him."