CH 15.1 The Golden Repair

Alex and Gabe began a walking routine in the woods over the next week. They would wind their way through the peaceful path of tall pines, their canopies forming an intricate ceiling. The needles rustled in the breeze, releasing a refreshing scent into the air. Alex rested her hand inside Gabe's crippled one, and their hands swung gently with their gait.

The crunching of dry pine needles underfoot markedly increased as footsteps raced toward them. Alex spun around, her hands poised in readiness, glowing a baleful red. Gabe stepped forward, holding his palm outward as if to tell her to pause. He cocked his head to one side, listening intently before dropping onto one knee and spreading both arms wide.

Alex's words died on her tongue when a rustle of underbrush announced the arrival of a small figure. It barreled toward Gabe and leaped into his arms with such force that he stumbled back a step. Caleb, she remembered his name, clung to Gabe like a monkey, burrowing his face into his neck. A low, thrumming sound emanated from Gabe's chest, vibrating against her skin and soothing every inch of her soul.

The moment was frozen in time as Alex watched them with rapt attention. The sun filtered through the trees overhead, casting soft dapples of light over their intertwined forms. Birds sang sweet melodies, and a gentle breeze rustled the leaves, creating an ethereal backdrop for this tender scene.

"Uncle Gabe, Uncle Gabe," Caleb sobbed in the strange, tearless way of the Agama and Anolis.

"Yes, child, I'm here. One day it will be restored, all will be restored." Gabe's gnarled hands brushed over Caleb's back in a comforting motion.

Alex scoured the area for any sign of what may have caused the child's distress.

Gabe seemed to read her thoughts and directed his attention to Caleb again. "Was Rafe tearing at your hide again?".

Caleb nodded meekly. "He said I was weak," he choked out. "Would never be of any use."

Alex clenched her fists and muttered something under her breath, but Gabe silenced her with a stern look that quickly shuttered her expression.

"Our value is not in our performance," Gabe said. He reached out and grabbed Alex's hand. "Come, let us show you."

Alex's eyebrows raised as Gabe said the word 'us', but she remained silent. She watched in awe as Gabe, unable to use his hands fully, cradled Caleb with his muscular arms and protectively held the child against his powerful chest. Through misty eyes, she saw them walk away, the crisp air filled with the aroma of pine needles settling her heart.

Gabe led Caleb and the others to a wooden outbuilding tucked in the backyard. Gabe used the copper foot door opener expertly and entered. The interior was tidy and clean, with tools lined up neatly on shelves and a workbench that stretched across one wall.

Gabe sat down, lowering Caleb onto his lap as he did so. Caleb wasted no time in yanking a chain connected to an old-fashioned ball, which turned on the light overhead.

Caleb's gaze fell on a cracked white porcelain vase with a chunk missing from one side. "That's Mom's vase that Rafe broke," he said.

Gabe smiled gently at him. "Life breaks us all," he answered with sympathy, before motioning to a nearby shelf. "Pick up the small flashlight please and turn it on."

Gabe pulled the ball and the single bulb in the room went dark. "Alex, please close the door. Caleb, place the flashlight in the vase."

The two followed his instructions and soon a soft glow was emanating from inside the shattered ceramic.

"I learned it from the humans called Japanese," Gabe said, his voice filled with reverence. "It's called the Golden Repair. The vase was broken, but now its fractures are illuminated and more beautiful than before."