CH 4.1 Jabs Back and Forth

Alex held a wooden staff in a defensive stance, but her gaze kept drifting to Rile, who was lounging against the wall of the carriage house without his shirt. His biceps were bulging and his abs just casually on display.

Jerk is deliberately not wearing his shirt and looking better than he has a right to be.

"You're supposed to be watching me," Cale said.

She could feel herself flushing when she heard Cale's gentle rebuke behind her. She could only imagine how embarrassed she would have been if Rile had been her sparring partner - he would have easily knocked her down with a single sweep of his staff.

"Sorry." Alex realized that she was doubly lucky.

If Gabe had seen me looking at Rile, he would be justifiably angry, but he isn't here. Off again. But his propensity for solo wandering was how I met him, so I shouldn't complain.

Cale prepared her with an easily deflected blow. He stepped back as she stumbled to regain her stance, a contrast from Rile who usually just slammed her to the ground without warning. Cale's voice was calm and supportive as he went through advanced footwork for staff work.

The instant Cale lowered his staff, Rile said, "Hurry up, it's time to go."

"Put a shirt on," Alex shot back, her voice tinged with the anger she was fighting so hard to contain.

"Why?" he taunted, pushing off the wall to tower over her, his bare chest glistening.

Alex felt her cheeks heat up and quickly looked away as she tried to find an answer. Then, summoning all of her courage, she lifted her gaze back to his face and put her hands on his hips. She stood on her toes to look him in the eye and said with conviction, "So I don't get shot when I'm distracted by your gorgeous chest."

The corners of Rile's lips twitched as he stumbled back a step, words failing him for once. He tried not to show it, but Alex saw the flash of emotion in his eyes—painful teasing that hurt just as much as she intended.

Jabs back and forth, back and forth.

"I hate it when you two act this way, especially when Gabe is gone." Anxiety radiated from Cale as he clacked his claws together.

Alex bowed her head in apology. "I'm sorry. I knew you wanted to go with him."

Cale said mournfully, "He told me 'to keep an eye on things'. Gabe is using his smartphone as an excuse for prowling alone, claiming he needs time to think. But a smartphone is not protection, not an extra set of eyes, and not a guard on your back."

As Cale pulled his phone from his pocket, Rile grabbed Alex and dragged her away. Cale brought the device to his tympanum and spoke in a low tone as he paced back and forth. "Good, Gabe is checking in," he said to no one in particular.

Alex wriggled out of Rile's grasp and ran back towards Cale. She leaned against him as if they were one and trilled into the phone, "Hello, Gabe. Coming back soon?"

Cale chuckled before speaking into the receiver.

"Hurry up. You'll never get any experience if Cale tags along," Rile said.

"I feel guilty about ditching Cale," Alex whispered, but followed him. She knew how much Cale worried about her—but she wanted to learn more fighting moves, too.

"Cale may be overprotective, but I can't help feeling guilty about leaving him behind," Alex whispered before reluctantly following Rile.

"You said you wanted some hand-to-hand practice," Rile said.