CH 19.1 This Is Goodbye

Alex sat up in her bed and decided that although she had little faith in prayer, even Cale's, she needed to buy him time to pray and to keep Gabe and Rile off their backs. What the thinnest lie she could tell them? The Portal Guardian had already kicked her through two rough portals away from her Gabe, and she didn't want to repeat the experience.

Can the nearly perfect Cale persuade her to send me back?

Alex realized couldn't make up a complicated lie to tell Gabe because she couldn't remember it. After a time, she thought of a simple plan and rehearsed it several times. She took a deep breath, stood up, and opened the bedroom door. Surprised that the brothers weren't in her living room, she walked down to their apartment and knocked. Cale opened the door.

"Please, come in. May I make you something to eat or drink?" Cale asked. as he gestured towards the couch where Gabe sat alone.

She shook her head and saw Rile had disappeared but chose not to question it. Alex leaned over the back of the couch and rested her cheek on Gabe's shoulder. "I promise it will be okay. The Portal Guardian told me so."

"She did? What did she say?" Gabe twisted himself around on the sofa to look at her more closely, curiosity etched into his features.

Alex smiled softly and leaned against the back of the couch for support. "She was her usual cryptic, terse self. I was lucky for the message as it was." The corner of Alex's mouth twitched, mentally rehearsing the lie she was about to tell, while Cale wandered into the bedroom to give them privacy.

She shouldn't have bothered.

The apartment was suddenly flooded with a brilliant white light, and the sound of something like shattering glass filled the air. "It is time, my Guardians, for you to return home."

Gabe jumped up, radiating the enthusiasm of a kid at Christmas. "Cale! Rile! This is it: home! Gear up now."

The brothers rushed into the room and saw the shimmering portal in the corner. Cale wasted no time throwing his belongings into a bag and running towards the gateway. Rile took one last look around and left more slowly. Gabe joined them and despite Cale's head start, finished packing first.

All three brothers came into the living room, their bags hanging heavy from their shoulders. Alex was seated on couch, her knees drawn to her chest, and a deep sadness apparent in her expression.

"This is goodbye." Alex stayed still, almost as if she were rooted to the spot.

"Alex?" Gabe's voice exuded guilt and bewilderment. "Aren't you coming with us?"

"It's not my home and you're not going on a mission." Alex rested her chin on her knees.

Cale's eye-ridges drew together. "You can't stay here alone," Cale said.

The Portal Guardian's voice sang out like a pleasant bell ringing in the silence. "I do not leave my active Guardians alone. I will find her a team."

"Bye guys." Alex jumped up, heart pounding in her chest, and hardly able to breathe from joy. "Is the team coming here or am I going to them?"

Gabe! My Gabe! And Galen! I thought I'd never see them again!

The Portal Guardian flared at Alex. "Cease your prayers to return to the world of your last mission. The war escalates and I cannot spare the energy to keep you there. Accept this as a part of war and resume your fight."

Alex stumbled back, collapsing into the chair behind her as tears started rolling down her cheeks. She buried her face in her hands as grief overwhelmed her.