CH 17.2 Finding Na

Alex stepped confidently into Zilik's lavish office, Lok trailing closely behind her. He closed the heavy door and stood guard just outside while she faced the Chameleon leader. His skin shifted hues from green to orange in his apprehension as Alex fixed him with a hard stare. Sparks danced along her hands, her voice dripping venomous accusation.

"You knew," Alex told the wary Chameleon, his color changing to orange. "You knew Gabe had sons, and you knew Mina knew."

Zilik flinched at her words before replying in a conciliatory tone. "I heard rumors, but I didn't know for sure. I told you that."

Alex narrowed her eyes at him. "Mina said the Anolis males sent you word. I must rescue Gabe's son. Goodbye."

"No Alex, you can't." Zilik's voice was controlled this time.

"I don't think I heard you correctly." She tilted her head to one side as if challenging him to repeat what he had said. With a determined glint in her eye, she stepped forward and placed her fists on her hips for emphasis.

Zilik stood tall and met her gaze unflinchingly. His skin shifted to a calm brown shade, and a determined set to his jaw showed he wasn't backing down. "You heard me perfectly well. You wanted me to be a world leader and now I'm speaking to you as one. If you attempt to retrieve the child, it will jeopardize everything we've worked so hard for. The political ramifications will destroy our alliance, maybe even the Council itself since you have our support. I won't risk war."

"You heard Mina. Cla murdered a child. Her own son."

"Unfortunately, Cla is an Anolis and her children are as well. This can only be handled by the Anolis government. InterSpec has no jurisdiction. We overstep our bounds and the entire Council crumbles and war will break out."

"Those children are half Agama and that gives me jurisdiction," Alex said.

"There is no Agama nation on this world," Zilik said. "No Agama on the Council. They do not live on our world. Their business is not ourbusiness."

Alex looked up into his eyes for a long moment, her brow furrowed in determination, her jaw clenched tightly shut while she chewed her lip anxiously. "I've created a political monster," she whispered.

Zilik took both of her hands in his own, squeezing them gently in comfort. "I'm sorry, Alex. You didn't create anything. This is how my world is." Her old friend was speaking now, not the world leader. "I know what you've been through. You know I would do anything for you."

"Then release me."

"I'm sorry, Alex," Zilik repeated helplessly.

"Me too." She blasted him with white light.

At least he'll wake up happy. I could do that much for him. It'll be hard without Zilik's help. I wonder if Razz knew more than he told me. If he did, well, he can have a dose of the same. It'll speed up my timetable though, for he could alert the Anolis government.

Alex pondered that.

No, Razz would never do that. He will help me, help that little child, and politics be hanged. He will even help me torture information out of Mina, if need be.

Alex opened the door and Lok peeked in. Lok looked at Alex, looked down at Zilik on the floor, and up again at Alex.

"Should I ask?" Lok asked, his color a bright green.

"He knew about Gabe's son and didn't tell me. He also attempted to stop me. You?" Alex raised an eyebrow in challenge.

Lok's color flowed to brown. "I will help you. I have my own set of spies after all, and I'm not officially on the Council."