CH 11.1 Compromised

Two agents with faces that could have been carved from tree trunks stood shoulder-to-shoulder against the far wall of the townhouse living room. They were dressed in dark suits and ties, their hair cut military short. They were as nondescript as Grange and his superior.

"I overheard the doc talking to the nurse," one agent whispered, breath hot on his colleague's neck. "He said she's stable enough to be moved tomorrow. We'll grab her tonight."

Gabe heard every word from where he lay on the couch, hidden beneath an ugly brown and orange afghan. It was a replica of the one Alex had given him when they first met, and it had taken him weeks to find among thrift store shelves.

The two agents exchanged uneasy glances.

"Sure you've got the nurse's schedule right?" one agent said.

"I'm sure. There's no sign of her creepy visitors either," the other answered, shifting his feet nervously.

"Creepy? You sound spooked. What are they, ghosts and goblins?"

The second agent looked away, silent for a moment, before replying, "Nah, never got a good look at them. Not supposed to."

At that exact moment, Gabe leapt over the back of the couch with extraordinary speed and lightness for someone his size. He landed in front of the two agents with a thud. He thrust out his arm lightning-quick and drove his fist into the nose of one agent with a crunch. The other stepped back in shock.

"We didn't want to strain your weak heart with our appearance," Gabe said in a low voice.

The second man stood frozen, his eyes wide as he took in Gabe's towering figure.

"Shoot him, idiot!" the first called out from behind hands cupped over a bloody nose.

But before the second could raise his gun, Gabe sent it flying from his hand with a crack of lightning. The first agent leapt up, wrapping one hand around Gabe's arm to pin them behind him and slamming a knee into his back with a grunt.

"Shoot him quick, before this whole thing blows up in our faces."

The second man retrieved the gun and pressed it to Gabe's forehead.

"Leave . . . him . . . alone." The voice was like crushed glass.

They all turned to see her pale figure in a hospital gown standing with one hand clenched by her side and another pointed at them. As if on cue, white light exploded from her outstretched palm, too weak to do anything but sting an agent who covered his face with one arm. The distraction gave Gabe the opening he needed: he drove his foot into the man's stomach, then wrenched his arms free from the other assailant. Alex blasted again, this time at both agents, and they scrambled out of the townhouse as their skin stung from the power.

"Thanks, Alex." Gabe glanced back to see her crumple to the floor and reached down to help her up. "Are you all right? Stupid question." He scooped her up. "Here's another one: are you ready to get out of here?"

She placed her arms around his neck as he lifted her from the ground, fear and exhaustion evident in her pale face. Through the door, there was no sign of the nurse who must have heard the gunshot and ran for help.

Gabe made a beeline for the window, claws outstretched against the frame as he pulled himself through. Vinyl siding ripped away as his feet dangled outside. He flapped his wings, caught a gust of wind, and began to fall. Alex held on tight as his wings snapped open, slowing their descent but not enough to keep them from crashing.

"Alex!" Gabe yelled.

They stopped falling and Gabe's head snapped back from Alex's speed-burst. Apparently, she didn't want to be seen.