CH 5.2 Twisting the Knife

As they entered the healing section of the Institute, Cale could see Zilik lying in his bed, still pale and weak but with a smile on his face. "Deela has sent word that she wants to meet with you," he told Cale.

Cale furrowed his brow and shook his head vehemently. "I don't want to see her."

"She says she'll come here if you wish." Zilik said.

"I wish to never see her lying face again." Cale said, his voice tight with bitterness.

Alex leaned over to press a soft kiss against Cale's muzzle, appreciation for his firm refusal written on his face. Gabe and Rile jumped a bit at the unexpected gesture, but it was only Gabe whose expression soured as Rile's softened thoughtfully.

"I hope you don't mind, Alex, but I sent out a bulletin that you had returned. It also said you wanted all the former palace males to meet you here in InterSpec City and that you would go looking for those who didn't show up." Zilik smiled at her satisfied expression.

"Oooh, devious. I like it."

Zilik waved a hand. "I thought it was rather forthright. Besides, I knew you would prowl around for more fights when you grew bored."

"I sent out a declaration that any male could apply to you for emancipation," Razz said, his voice taking on a cautionary tone. Zilik and Gabe both glared at him, but Alex's fingers tightened around the hilt of her sword. "Do not become too excited," he continued, "I doubt that it will help much. The males must escape to make it here, and that will not be easy."

Alex considered this for a moment before speaking again. "What if I tour the entire Anolis nation? Visit all the cities to meet the males?"

"You could call it the 'I'm Going To Be Slaughtered' tour," Rile quipped, his lips twitching in amusement. He may not have been upset with Razz and Zilik for their actions, but Alex was always taking things too far. So impulsive and injudicious. He liked that about her.

. "I do want you to make some appearances, Alex, but really, the Anolis nation?" Zilik fixed her with a beady eye.

Alex's face lit up with a hopeful expression as she asked, "What about touring near the border?"

Razz gave a confident nod. "That can be arranged."

Gabe furrowed his brow and said, "Perhaps we all should discuss this."

His bitterness was obvious to everyone, including Rile who couldn't help but secretly delight in the commotion. When Alex demanded that they all sleep together at night 'in this female dominated hell hole', Gabe's anger seemed to reach its tipping point. Rile knew that if he could only have some time alone with Razz and explain what happened, the little guy could influence Alex enough to reverse her decision. Zilik might even interject with a kind word towards Gabe. Rile felt triumphant.

****

Razz grabbed Rile by the arm and led him down a narrow hallway to his quarters. He gestured to an old wooden table and pulled two clay cups from a shelf. As he poured wine into each of them, he said, "I think we should talk. What happened between you and Alex?"

Rile took the cup in his hands and slowly turned it around, letting his eyes take in its grainy texture as he considered how to answer. "I could tell you what Cale told me: loyalty and love win out over love alone every time."

Razz raised his eye ridges, aware of the gravity of the situation. "You could have handled that better. What else happened?" Despite the severity of their discussion, Razz leaned back in his chair, still playing the consummate politician and survivor.

"Alex found out about the glow she gives off at night. She was devastated that I didn't tell her." Rile shifted in his seat, his fingers scratching the armrests.

"Bad, very bad, considering her background," Razz said, shaking his head. "But not insurmountable. What else happened?"

Rile took a deep breath, courageously deciding to tell him everything if it would help Alex and him. "I grew livid with Alex and accused her of thinking all I wanted was neuro-electric sex. Then . . . then I left."

Razz's expression softened and he nodded in understanding. "Gabe jumped in then. I know how these things work; I was part of a harem for years. I am sorry for both you and Alex." He paused and thoughtfully tapped his lips before continuing. "Still, I think I can help." "Gabe seems resentful. Tell me about it."  Razz rested his muzzle on his hands, elbows bent.

Rile considered for a moment before speaking. "How much time do you have?"

Razz settled into the chair across from Rile and sighed. "I owe Alex all of my time," he said.

With a heavy heart, Rile recounted the entire sequence of events, pausing occasionally to choose his words carefully.

***** 

When Rile finished speaking, Razz nodded solemnly. "I do not think you'll need as much help as we thought. Gabe is already upset over Alex's status here, so Zilik and I were hoping to use that to our advantage. Alex agrees with us. You should have seen the look on her face when we told her about the plan. All we have to do is play off of the pain that Gabe has put upon himself. As long as you can keep your temper, this might work out in our favor."

Rile let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Razz."

The other Anolis male shook his head. "It is not me who deserves thanks; it is Alex. She did not deserve to be betrayed like she was by Gabe. You are what she needs right now—someone who will protect her and show her the loyalty that she deserves. Heroes often fail themselves because of misplaced loyalties, but I won't let that happen to Alex."

They trudged back to the infirmary, where Zilik lay propped up on a pile of pillows, papers scattered across his bed. Cale and Gabe conversed in hushed tones in one corner while Alex sat with her feet tucked beneath her, sipping from a chalice and gazing off into the distance. Then the head healer walked in, part of Razz's well-oiled machine.

"Council Member Zilik is still very ill. He needs rest and to be kept warm for optimal recovery."

Zilik cast a sidelong glance at Alex before offering a polite but sincerely humble reply. "No, you are asking too much of Alex. I already owe her my life. I can't ask for more than that."

"Oh, why not? We're already sleeping in a group for protection. What's one more and one more night? Plus the guys here are experts at waking up at night over every little whisper. More power to them because I need my sleep," Alex replied.

"Any other orders, team and clan leader?" Gabe asked.

Alex drew back into herself at Gabe's sarcasm. Fortunately, Razz had placed himself next to her. Not fortunate. Deliberate. He leaned against her.

"I understand if you do not want your team here," Razz addressed Gabe. "I volunteer to stay here with Alex and Zilik. I, too, am an expert at 'waking up at night over every little whisper'. It helped me to survive in Cla's harem." Razz cut down Gabe with surgical precision. Rile has told him that Gabe did not consider Alex a permanent Guardian, thanks to his heart to heart talk with Rile. The reference to Cla had many beneficial effects. Beneficial to Rile, not Gabe.

Gabe looked Razz up and down. "We were Called here to help Zilik and help Zilik we will. Cale will take first watch. I'll take second and Rile, third."

**       

That night, Gabe puffed up the mound of sleeping bags and arranged himself with care in the center spot next to Alex. He draped an arm around her waist and tucked her tightly against him, a protective gesture that made her heart flip flop in her chest. Zilik grumbled noisily as he settled down on Alex's other side, making sure everyone noticed his exaggerated discomfort at having to lie so close to her.

Razz waved his hand invitingly at Rile and pointed to the space beside him. Alex felt a wave of guilt wash over her at the sight but quickly tamped it down; she had grown accustomed to sharing beds with the other reptiles these last few months. As she drifted off to sleep, she thought:

Consciences do become seared.

***