CH 17.3 Camping with Na Part A & B

Na was the first to wake, his childish energy allowing him to rise earlier than normal. "Tia?"

Alex stirred with a start and quickly surveyed her surroundings, her right hand flickering with red sparks that danced across her skin. Recognizing the frightened figure before her, Alex softened and her glowing embers faded. "Good morning. How about some breakfast?"

Na remained still, transfixed by Alex's burning hand.

"Don't mind this." Alex extinguished the power with a wave. "It's a weapon I use in case of an emergency, like the time I crippled Mina with it. Your Mother will receive an even bigger dose if she ever finds us." Na nodded solemnly, emboldened by Alex's assurance. "Now, what to eat?" she asked. "Here, I have stuff that Razz packed."

They ate rations, supplemented by berries that Na pointed out.

After the meal was finished, Alex glanced over at the nearby creek. "I could use a hot shower, but I'll settle for a swim in that creek. Do you want to swim with me?" she asked with a smile of encouragement.

Na blinked in surprise, his expression shifting from shock to confusion. "I can't swim," he mumbled, looking ashamed. "Mother didn't let me play with the other children."

Alex felt angry heat rising inside her at Cla's cruelty before she managed to push it away and force a reassuring smile on her face. "Figures. We'll fix that."

**

They laughed and giggled as they splashed on the shallow side of the creek. The water was cool, fresh, and crystal clear. It was hunger that eventually forced them out of the water. Razz had wisely packed two towels in her backpack. One was usually for her hair.

"What's that scar on your back?"

Alex's expression tightened. She had removed her shirt; glad for her sturdy sports bra to swim and splash in, and now she regretted it. She knelt down and said, "I will tell you when you are older."

"Most warriors are very proud of their battle scars," Na said earnestly.

"It's a tale to tell you later. Much, much later."

"You do mean to keep me." Na began to cry, the strange, tearless sobbing of the reptiles on this world.

Alex held him close. "For as long as you want." She let him cry himself out, knowing how much she appreciated it when Rile had done the same for her. She softly ran her glowing hand over his back and let him cry himself out until he finally stopped and settled down. Patting him on the back she stood up, smiled and said "Let's find lunch", before pulling on her T-shirt.

Alex scanned the area carefully as Na knelt to examine every plant and berry with a critical eye. When he passed over something, she would ask him for details, but he only knew that some were edible and others weren't.

"Where is my father?" Na asked when they had begun picking. "He isn't waiting in another city, like a Chameleon City or Interspec City, is he?"

"No, he's very far away," Alex said, unable to meet Na's expectant gaze.

"Are we going there? When will I meet him?" Na persisted.

Alex sighed and stopped picking berries. "Soon, I hope. I can't return us to my world and the one who brought me here didn't say when she was coming back. We'll have to wait for her. Until then, we lie low. Maybe we can stay in the woods the whole time, since you know how to find food. I'm sorry, it won't be easy."

Na nodded, understanding on his little face. "That's okay. This is lots better than home. No one hits me or orders me around." His voice softened with curiosity as he asked, "What is my father like?"