CH 13.3 Called to Another World

Alex winced as she touched her tender jaw, the feeling of his knuckles still lingering on her skin. The blood dripped down from her lip, and she swiped it away with the back of her hand. She felt a chill run through her body as she thought about how close that kick had come to her eye - not any alteration that she was ready for. Her mind repeated the mantra: one black eye at a time.

Alex gazed up at the night sky, filled with stars twinkling like tiny fireflies in the darkness. Blue light blinded her. When she opened her eyes again, she found herself in an unfamiliar landscape. momentarily and when she blinked her eyes clear, the sky was different.

The sun was low on the horizon and cast its golden rays over a forest of tall but spindly pine trees. A light breeze rustled their needles, carrying with it the sweet scent of pine and a hint of humidity, but not as humid as sub-tropical New Orleans. The rustle of the pine forest reminded Alex that she had attended a Whispering Pine Lodge in the past.

Lock down any thoughts of the past. I've been Called somewhere. That's what's important.

As the faint murmuring of voices came to her ears, she glided down into a shady copse and followed the sound until she saw them. Children, but not human children: these were humanoid draconic children. Their wings were folded against their backs, gold-tinted hides and warm brown eyes, just like the brothers.

Caleb, stood with his hands on his hips and admonished the other. "Dad's gonna kill you if he finds out you took his cars, Rafe."

Rafe flicked his tongue out at him and revved the motors of one of the radio control cars. "Watch this," he said before it skidded into a frenzy of motion.

Alex watched in awe the car lurched off-course and slammed into the underbrush near her feet. She ducked down reflexively but couldn't seem to break her gaze away.

One of the little draconic children raced over and tugged at the entrapped car with all his strength. When their eyes met in mutual astonishment, Alex knew she was just as intrigued by them as they were by her.

Is this Gabe's child?

Caleb's brown eyes were wide with surprise, and his mouth gaped open in shock. He took a few steps back as he blurted out the flurry of questions. "Who are you? Who beat you up? Does it hurt? Where did you come from? No one is supposed to live around here. I shouldn't talk to strangers."

Alex smiled to show she wasn't a threat and knelt on the ground so she was eye level with him. She softened her voice, "I'm no stranger. I promise you that. Let's start with who I am. My name is Alex and I know your father. He's a friend and teammate of mine."

"Caleb! What's taking you so long?" The question was yelled from the other child walking closer.

"That's my brother Rafe. He's such a pain. Oh great, he broke Dad's car this time. We're gonna get it now," Caleb moaned.

Alex held out her hand. "Maybe I can fix it?"

Reluctantly, he passed the car to her. Alex studied it closely; it was familiar, something from the past. She recognized the model of the car she had bought for Rile what seemed like an eternity ago. Her eyes fell on the axle where a twig was jammed in tightly between two gears; with careful precision she freed it and gently shook the car back to life.

"There. The axle isn't bent, so it should be okay now." Alex handed it back.

The future? Time travel? That makes my head hurt.

"Thanks." He inspected the car.

"Caleb . . . hey!"  Rafe stopped a distance away. For a moment, they made eye contact before Rafe turned and sprinted away.