CH. 19.3 All In

After Mrs. Bonifay shut the door, Rile rubbed his muzzle thoughtfully and said, "I think I like her, crazy old lady bit and all."

Alex smacked his shoulder. "She was a Guardian, a good one, I bet."

Rile stepped closer to her. He placed a finger under her chin and forced her gaze upwards. His eyes searched hers as he whispered, "If you can't commit, just give me a chance. Please." She didn't move, so Rile continued persuasively, "Razz vouched for me, doesn't that mean anything?"

Alex hesitated before finally wrapping her arms around him in response. Rile hugged her tightly and buried his muzzle in her hair. He nuzzled her neck gently before resting his forehead against hers.

He whispered into her ear, "Sexual intimacy is only one type of intimacy and I'm not asking for that. I'm asking you to guide me to know you. Then I can guide you to know how much I love you."

Alex let out a sob as she nestled her head into his shoulder.

Rile's gentle hands caressed her back, and he cautiously asked, "Is that a yes?"

She simply nodded in response, her knuckles gripping the fabric of his shirt.

Rile whispered in her ear, "But now I need you to tell me something else. Tell me you want me more than Gabe."

Alex felt a wave of confusion crash into her thoughts.

Absolutely more than his brother. But that other Gabe...didn't I...didn't we...?

Her thoughts were interrupted by Rile's whispers. 

"Tell me what you would do if he came back tomorrow, saying he had made a terrible mistake. Which he has."

"He had his chance." Alex's voice turned wintery cold, but it was a soothing ice pack to Rile's heart. "I fought for him. I bled for him. I almost died for him and it wasn't enough. Never enough." There was more pain in her voice than anger now.

Rile stroked her hair and said with shared pain, "Now you understand why I'm always so irritated by him. My whole life, I was never good enough for him either."

Your brother isn't who you have to worry about. I love little Galen and want to raise him, but...wait...another Gabe will raise him...I can never see little Galen...or that Gabe, again.

Rile's eyes widened with concern when he saw Alex's gaze unfocused and her body trembling. He grabbed her shoulders, leaning in close. "Alex? What's wrong? Is a short circuit starting in your brain?"

Alex slowly blinked away the fog in her mind, shaking her head to clear it.

Decision time. I can pick only one. Goodbye little Galen. I'll love you forever, but I'll never see you again. The Portal Guardian told me as much. That other Gabe will be good to you; I remember that much about him.

Alex sighed and leaned against Rile, breathing in his spicy scent that reminded her of well-worn leather. Her arms curled around him, pressing the ultra-soft hide over sculpted muscles against her body. His body was like a shield protecting her from this inevitable moment. 

"I guess we can form the Gabe Reject Club," Alex said. "But I have to tell you something else, even though it might be the wrong thing to say at this point." She hesitated, feeling each beat of her heart against her chest.

"Would you like some time to think of the right thing to say?" Rile asked.

"No, because then I might reconsider. But I can't go through again what I just did. I can't offer you a time-limited deal. I want you until death do us part." Alex's eyes shone with determination as she spoke, but her voice quivered.

Rile felt her embrace loosen and she stepped back, sure of his refusal.

"If it helps, I won't live long." Alex's voice was wistful and her head hung low.

"That's the saddest thing I've ever heard. It sounds like you want to die before the love runs out." Rile said.

"I said I was pathetic but now it's all or none. No deals." Alex closed her eyes and silently endured the pain that threatened to overwhelm her. She had followed her heart into an ocean of hurt, but no longer.

The right thing, right from the start, right this time.

Rile took a deep breath before slowly saying, "I accept."

Sure of his refusal, Alex assumed her defensive posture: knees pulled to her chest and head bowed, barely paying attention. But when his words pierced the heavy tension between them, she looked up with shock.

Rile had taken both of her hands; his thumb tracing circles on her wrists as he said, "Till death do us part." He had broken his cardinal rule of never committing, but with Alex, he found the exception.

Alex's arms encircled his neck as tears of joy welled up in her eyes. She whispered against his cheek, "I'll make you the happiest living soul in the universe." Her skin radiated warmth and love as she tenderly caressed his neck.

He scooped her up into a warm embrace and responded, "I can't wait. Alex kisses are soft and warm and make me soar inside." He closed his eyes as their lips met in a passionate kiss before Alex pulled away and declared, "Let's go to bed now."

Surprised, he asked, "Into the bedroom? Are you sure?"

Confidently, she replied, "I'm sure. Life is short and my life is shorter. You said you wanted me to guide you to know me, but I was only aware of about three or four months before y'all entered my life. So, you've already known me my whole life. As they say in the cowboy movies when they play cards and push all their money into the center of the table: I'm all in."

***

A/N

Did I write a happy chapter okay? I don't write them very often! HA!

Dedicated to

Cocosghost

greggerguy