CH 14.1 Can't Control Myself

The older Alex's soft, maternal attitude kept the younger Alex from bolting out of the house. Her head was throbbing with the implications of the timeline shift and trying to absorb the shock of the brothers' counterparts. The guest bedroom was a respite; plush carpet, walls painted soft lavender, and in the middle sat a four-poster double bed.

"The light switch is here, and you can adjust the fan speed by clicking this chain." She gestured to a brass fixture hanging from the ceiling. "Can I get you something? Before the kids came, I used to love vodka martinis."

Alex shook her head. "No liquor. At least, not yet. My head might explode if I do. I just need sleep." As if to prove her point, she collapsed on the bed.

"Here are some pajamas." The older Alex opened the drawer built into the bed frame under the mattress. She took out an oversized T-shirt and cotton shorts with a drawstring.

The younger Alex accepted them, not bothering to sit up, and her older counterpart left at the hint. Alex wriggled out of her clothes and into the pajamas. As soon as they settled on her body, she moved to lie down and nearly melted into the pillow with exhaustion. She fell into a deep sleep right away, her gift and her curse.

Gabe inched the door open with bated breath, and his voice seemed to hang in the air as he called softly for Alex. As he stepped closer to the bed, he raised his volume. Again, no answer, so he stood over her. "Alex?" he asked in a normal tone of voice.

Alex leapt out of bed like a wild animal howling in rage. Her hands crackled with electricity and one fist connected squarely with Gabe's muzzle and sent him stumbling back. Despite her strength, her feet were tangled in the sheets and she tumbled to the floor.

"Alex, please. I won't hurt you," Gabe held up his hands and backed away. "I only wanted to speak with you."

Cale burst into the room, sword drawn and glinting in the moonlight. Alex scrambled towards the bed to hide, her eyes wide with fear and hands still glowing from her neuroelectric powers.

The older Gabe stood back from the bed, palms upraised in a show of peace. "I'm sorry to wake you, but there's no telling when you might be Called back and I must talk with you."

"No need to be alarmed," Cale said, sheathing his blade. "My brother and I are here to help you. This house is safe."

"Called back?" Alex looked at Gabe first, then at Cale. "Safe house?"

"Very safe," Cale assured her. "My brothers and I protect our Alex, as well as Rile's and her children."

"Children?" Alex inhaled deeply, her eyes calmed, and the power from her hand sizzled out. "The children: yes, this place is safer than home. Gabe, you would know about Callings.  Is something wrong?"

"That depends on how you look at it.  May we go outside to talk?" Gabe asked and then nodded at Cale.

"I'll tell Rile and Alex everything is okay." Cale turned and left.

"Sure, Gabe, let me get dressed. I'll meet you on the porch." Alex suppressed a shiver as she unfolded her clothes from the pile beside her bed. She frowned at her hands when they trembled. She thought them traitors and told them to behave, that he wasn't their Gabe.

There is no 'my' Gabe anymore.

***

Alex and Gabe stepped onto the path leading into the pine woods, their feet crunching on fallen needles. In the distance, the crickets chirped with gusto against the backdrop of a still night. Alex inhaled deeply, taking in the familiar aroma of fresh pines and releasing her worries with each exhale.  Alex followed Gabe's lead without question.