CH 2.1 RenFests and Dragons

Alex squared off with her Society for Creative Anachronism sword instructor, Jason De Toit. He towered over her, his frame lanky and lengthy. But she knew that the deceptive build hid tremendous power—he had a black belt in Kung Fu and was skilled in Krav Maga. As they sparred, Alex noticed he wasn't giving her his all. She thought briefly about punishing him with an extra hard strike, but quickly remembered her plan to ask for Krav Maga lessons and pulled back instead.

In frustration, Alex said, "C'mon, Jason. Do you think Cla will be this easy on me? She nearly cut my heart out."

"Who's Cla?" Jason stared at her.

Alex cursed herself. "Uhm . . . role playing. Seriously, step it up."

As they continued to spar, Alex looked at Jason critically. His swordplay was impressive, but it was obvious he had never fought for survival before.

His use as a swordsmanship instructor is over. At least there's still Krav Maga.

Jason snapped Alex out of her daydream with his urgent request. "Alex, I need you at the RenFest this Sunday. Lenica dropped out and said you could wear her costume. C'mon, it'll be fun! You know there's a morning sparring session and the big battle is at noon."

Alex pursed her lips, considering his offer. "Okay, but no calling me Shirley. How about I trade you Krav Maga lessons?"

Jason rolled his eyes at the old joke. "Great, I'll get the costume ready for you."

***

Alex stared at the leather brassiere and skirt that Jason was holding up, trying to repress a grin. She noticed how he held them up against his body, imagining himself in her place. He seemed oblivious to her mounting aggravation –

I will either laugh or belt him one.

She chose to laugh. "I am not wearing some hormonal teenage boy's idea of what a female warrior look like," she said with forced patience. "I want chain mail."

With a smug smirk, Jason's hand shifted from the provocative outfit to the pile of mail armor off to the side. "I'll loan you a chain mail shirt if you wear the skirt," Jason countered. "Remember how hot it will be." Gauging her look, he added, "Five free Krav Maga lessons."

*****

Walking the RenFest, Alex's face held a fierce expression, hidden by the heavy makeup and wig of wild curls that tumbled down her back. She wore a pair of laced boots and an itchy leather mini skirt that kept inching up as she moved. She stayed close to Jason, their shoulders almost touching; he was so tall that she looked petite but powerful next to him.

As they made their way through the crowd, Alex could feel fingers grazing her backside but no one stopped them or said anything crude. The smell of smoke, sweat and freshly cooked food hung in the air; members of the Society for Creative Anachronism roamed around in full garb. Old time music filled the grounds. When the first match began, the crowd erupted in cheers and Jason announced a second battle at noon.

Alex watched the comedians and short Shakespeare spoofs, her stomach in knots. She followed a winding path to the designated battleground, a large grassy area of the park lined with picnic tables. The sun beat down on her shoulders as she squared off against her opponent. The crowd formed a half circle around them, their cheers urging Alex forward until finally, after a few tense minutes, she emerged victorious.

As Alex stepped out onto the field, a man in a long tunic and pig-faced bascinet helmet blocked her path, sword raised for attack. He was not on Alex's agenda for the day, but she shrugged and they each assumed their stance. With a quick lunge forward, he began to fight. His skills with the sword were impressive, matching her own. She swung faster and harder, trying to match his strength, but he met her every move. After two revolutions of exchanging blows, Alex felt her blade whip away from her hand. She grabbed onto the hilt desperately as she sized up the stranger before her. This was no SCA member.