Invitations and Tom

I held an invitation in my hands. On it read:

You are invited to join the appartment's 004's party! We have done this in an effort to create more friendships between neighbors! We shall also being giving out prices for the appartment's who come up with the most exciting costumes! Yes the dress code is: Dress up as your favorite TV characters! Be original and save the date!

"My dreams have come true," I said to Ace who was eating his breakfast opposite me.

"They managed to make yet another dance/singing movie?" Ace groaned, dropping his newspaper in horror.

I scowled at him. Yes I did enjoy romance movies with some really awesome songs, but who didn't? People who sucked the fun out of everything, I thought darkly as a surveyed Ace. Out of all the boys he continually made fun of mu girlier choices. It was probably because he was scared that I would uncover his feminine side... I smirked a little, imagining Ace fan-girling beside me as we watched our OTPS dancing with one another.

"No! They're organising a costume party with prizes!" I sang happily.

"Ugh," he scoffed, "What're we, in third grade?"

I pouted at him, my lower lip jutting. I pushed the invitation toward him, filling my eyes with fake sadness. I was going to puppy-dog-eyes the hell out of this guy, until he wouldn't be able to refuse me. Oh yeah, even Ace wasn't unmoved by my sad face. It was my greatest weapon and I intended to use it to it's full extent.

"Please," I said, my voice breaking on the word.

"No," he said firmly, trying to avoid eyecontact.

I walked my way to him, putting my arms around his shoulders and shifting myself in his lap. His eyes widened considerably and I could see that he was starting to get nervous. A devious little laugh began in my mind, but my exterior showed nothing but deep sadness and disappointment. This sucker was going down.

"What... are you doing?" he asked a little huskily.

"Oh, Ace," I whispered, my eyes filling with tears, "I just.... I want us to go! We're meant to be a f-family and you don't care!"

I dramatically put my head on his shoulder and let my own begin to shake. I could sense his resolve shaking as he started to hug me back, his chin on my head. This was the closest I'd ever been to him, I realized and my cheeks went up in flames. Get yourself under control, I thought to myself, trying to stop myself from thinking about how close we were all of a sudden.

"Serena, don't be sad," Ace groaned, "C'mon, you know I hate being social."

"But..." I whispered, "You'd take one for the team, right?"

"You look like an angel but you're a devil," he snapped, letting me go suddenly and I was forced up on my feet.

I blinked at him.

"Yes we'll go! Now be quiet and get out of here," he growled, pulling out his phone.

I happily burst into dance, moving my hips side to side as I rubbed my victory in his face. He rolled his eyes but I saw a smile cracking across his lips. Cam came out of his room sleepily and saw me dancing, which he decided to join in on immediately.

"Oh no, she corrupted you too!" Ace shouted, his eyes widening in mock horror as Cam pulled me in for a waltz.

I laughed as we twirled around, bumping into the kitchen counter and just propelling off again. Ace laughed a little but something in his eyes tightened as Cam pulled me in ridiculously close, so close I could smell the toothpaste on his breath. I giggled a little, and took a step and breaking free of our dance.

***

I got dressed in my workgear, heading toward the café. I loved working with Tom, he was the best boss there was. He joked around with me, but remained a professional distance. I wanted a little less of the distance, because I knew we could be great friends if he let me. I noticed his wedding ring everyday and how his wife was... gone.

As I entered, a noticed a lot of famous faces. I had grown immune to the celebrities, though. They were just normal people and I left them to have their distance. They came to this café because it wasn't filled with gawping people and flashing cameras. I had learnt to respect that very well, and Tom had praised it, naming it one of my best features.

I served happily the rest of the morning, sharing idle chat with Tom about the weather, TV shows and the new museum opening up. It was nice, but I really wanted to get to know him better.

"So," I began, when things had quitened down a little, "tell me about yourself."

He looked at me in suprise and a little amusement, "What do you want to know?"

"Something," I laughed, "I see you almost everyday and I know so little!"

He nodded, agreeing with me and laughed along with me. He really had a nice smile, I thought, a really kind smile. I loved it when you could see the kindest in  peoples faces. it was better than seeing beauty, I thought, kindest brought a new light whereas beauty was just something nice for a few moments. Personality was indefinitely better than good-looks. Not that Tom wasn't a looker, he was. I just appreciated his kindness more.

"Okay, uhm I'm thirty three. I got married when I was nineteen to the first girl I fell in love with," as he spoke of his wife, his eyes grew soft and I hid a small smile. It was the loveliest thing to see someone talk about their loved ones.

"I've never seen her around," I pointed out gently.

"She died, kiddo. When we were twenty-seven she was diagnosed with leukemia. She fought a hard battle, but after two years... the disease got the best of her," he said gruffly, looking away.

"Oh, Tom," I murmured, putting a hand on his arm.

He smiled at me, putting on a brave face. I could see through it, though, I'd had enough practice of pretending to be happy to know when someone was faking. It was so tragic, to see someone torn away from the person who loved them most. And he still loved her, it was clear to see on his face. My heart was broken on his behalf.

"It's been getting better," he told me, "but it's still hard."

"I know it's probably not the same, but I lost my dad. If you ever want to talk... well, you're the best boss I've ever had and I'd help you anyway i could."

He took my hand and squeezed it, gratitude in his eyes. I smiled at him before turning to take the coffee to some B-list celebrity.

***

When I got home, Zac was eating take-out noodles on the sofa. I could hear Cam singing loudly in the shower, but there was no sign of Ace. I picked up a box of noodles for myself before collapsing beside Zac lazily, putting my feet on the coffee table.

"Where's Ace?"

"Out with that Vanessa chick," he told me, "I don't like her.

Me neither, I thought, but probably due to different reasons. Zac still looked a little down but there was some light back in his bright blue eyes. I tried not to hate Nicolette for making my boy so down, but I couldn't say I completely achieved in that attempt. I ruffled his hair for a moment and he chuckled a little.

"How you doing?" I asked.

"Getting through," he shrugged, "I don't want to talk about it. It makes me sad."

I nodded, understanding completely. Wasn't heartbreak the whole reason I had escaped everything? I knew all about avoiding something, to the point where I'd run to a different state. I felt a gut-wrenching pang of guilt, wondering how my family was doing. I shouldn't have acted so rashly, I knew I shouldn't have, but being there had damn near killed me.

I switched on the TV, turning it to the loudest most obnixous channel I could find, trying to tune out my thoughts. I wasn't ready to face them just yet. Soon, but not yet.

"