Engagements

I walked down the stairs, in a cheery mood. Everything in the morning seemed better, I realized and started to whistle. I tied my wet hair (from the hot shower, which had made me even happier) and put it in a ponytail.

My mom was making scrambled eggs when I walked in. Jane was patiently waiting at the table, whilst Zac attacked a piece of toast with Nutella spread. I couldn't fathom why people were so Nutella obsessed. I liked chocolate too, but putting it on your bread? What was wrong with a regular chocolate bar? As if sensing my thoughts Zac looked up at me and narrowed his eyes.

"Selena," he said.

I frowned at him. Surely he could tell the difference between identical twins? Ok maybe not so easy, I thought. I was about to correct him when someone else beat me to it.

"Nope, Serena," came Alex's smug voice.

Jane raised her eyebrows as I nodded, "how can you tell the difference?"

Alex brushed my ponytail from my shoulder and fingered a small freckle on my neck. Zac stiffened at the table and I was frozen, struck dumb once again. It was so stupid, the affect he had on me. I could feel his warm breath on my neck. My heart thudded to an irregular beat, wild at his touch.

"The freckle on the back of her neck, although you couldn't see that from over there," my mom rolled her eyes and served us all some scrambled eggs.

"I know the way Serena stands. Straight but a little huddled together because she's a little shy. I also know that the shorts she's wearing, she bought in spring break because I spent hours with her picking out."

"Round of applause to you," Zac said sarcastically and took my hand, pulling me to the table with him.

I thanked him mentally and quickly stuffed a bite full into my mouth. Jane laughed when she saw how quickly I was scarfing down the eggs, gave me her portion. Zac watched the eggs leave my plate wistfully, as if he wanted them. He probably did want them, Zac loved food. And he remained for and handsome. Life was unfair.

In walked Selena, in a short skirt and a tube top. She had done her makeup perfectly, and slightly curled her hair. I wondered what the big occasion was, Selena wasn't obsessed with looking beautiful every day. She was like me, and had a laid-back attitude when it came to fashion and makeup. Comfort was a trait we both shared.

"Good, you're both here. And Jane and Zac," she noted drily.

Jane raised her orange juice, as if drinking to that. She then restarted to unpeeled a banana, popping a piece into her mouth.

"Alex and I need to tell you something, mom," Selena turned to look at me and then added, "Selena."

I raised my eyebrows and Jane swallowed. Zac leaned back on his wooden chair, a Cheshire smile playing across his lips. He looked like he was enjoying a particularly juicy movie.

"We're engaged," Alex admitted.

Zac burst out laughing. Jane quickly elbowed him and he curved over, coughing. Jane shot Selena an apologetic look.

"You are eighteen years old. Do your parents know, Alex? This is ridiculous," my mom fumed, setting her cutlery down with a smash.

"We're in love. We want to spend forever together," Alex defended himself quickly, turning red.

"Don't think you'll live as long as forever," Jane muttered, looking as if she was about a hundred percent done with Selena and Alex.

Selena was looking at me, her eyes wide and fearful. I was still reeling with shock, in all honesty. I... Just... Marriage? Finally I took a breath and... Shrugged at my mom. To say that everybody was shocked at my reaction was an understatement.