Photographs

It was a bright day but the look of misery on Cam's face would suggest it was storming up a hurricane outside. I pouted as I tried to take a picture of him, Ace and Zac but Cam really wasn't cooperating. Instead he didn't even make an effort to smile, just looked vaguely in the direction of the camera and curled up a corner of his lip.

Suffice to say, Lee hadn't called him back. It was like one of those Disney Love Stories, you know what I mean? It was just a silly little misunderstanding, words had been said which weren't meant, and they were both miserable. It depressed me a little how easily these things happened, and I really hoped it would turn out differently for the both of them.

"Hey, Ness, take a picture would you?" Zac called to the beauty that was Vanessa, Ace's girlfriend.

She was on the sofa, her long glorious legs stretched out in front of her, texting busily. She rolled her eyes- something which I noticed she was very fond of and which irritated me to the point where I wanted to smack her. Not that I would, but she just treated everything with such casual disinterest, as if nothing mattered beyond her.

"Ugh, why? Isn't Serena doing it?" Vanessa moaned.

"Yes but we would like for her to be in the picture too," Zac snapped in annoyance. He really disliked her- the two didn't get on at all.

"Meh," Vanessa shrugged and settled back into the sofa.

I gaped at her blatant lack of respect. The least she could do was take one picture. It also set my teeth on edge that she treated Zac with such coldness. Zac was one of the sweetest, loving people I'd ever met and it was like seeing someone hurt my own sister when I saw someone treating him badly.

“Would you just take the goddamn picture!” Cam yelled, throwing up arms.

Vanessa jumped to her feet immediately, abashed and a flush creeping up her face. She adored Cam because he was an almost celebrity and a quite successful model. She hurried toward me, tottering over her huge heels. She grabbed the camera from me and shoved me against the guys.

I looked up at Cam anxiously, realizing that he was far more affected than we had thought. I took his gloved hand in mine and tried to convey how much he meant to me with a look. He blinked back at me and I knew he understood that I was telling him that I loved him with my eyes. He pressed his forehead against mine and the camera flash went off.

“Take another,” came Ace’s aggravated voice and I turned to see him glowering down at me.

“Chill, bro,” Zac said, laughing at his angry expression.

Ace nodded, but his jaw taunt. He turned to face the camera, and I did the same. I tried to push a smile onto my face but I hated the idea of Ace being mad at me and so I only managed a feeble image of a grin, barely plausible. Vanessa snapped two more pictures and then passed the camera to us so we could inspect them.

In the first one Cam and I were staring down at each other. Zac was beaming, his chest puffed out and the cutest expression on his face. Ace, however was glaring down at of us.

“We’ll crop your miserable face out,” Zac joked, elbowing Ace.

I laughed a little, and even Cam managed a reluctant smile. The next one was a little better. My smile looked forced, and Ace had his usual grumpy expression on, but Cam looked a little happier than miserable and Zac had the same adorable macho-ness in his pose.

***

The next day was the day of the party. It wasn’t till later on, so I spent the entire morning playing videogames with Zac. Ace and Vanessa had gone to her place where I presumed they were bumping uglies and Cam had decided to become a recluse and spend the entire day listening to depressing songs. Not that I didn’t love sad songs, but after three hours on repeat I felt like popping my eardrums myself.

“I gotta go,” Zac said suddenly.

“No, why?” I pouted, grabbing onto his arm.

“I have a date,” Zac wiggled his eyebrows, “total hottie.”

“Ew, fine,” I said, before he got into the details about her boobs and butt. He did that the last time I asked about her. He literally spent ten minutes describing her body in such precise detail you would’ve thought he had photogenic memory. However he couldn’t remember the color of her eyes if you pressed a gun to his head.

Ten minutes later I decided to save Cam from his misery like he had done with me so many times. I knocked on his door and after a long pause, Cam finally said I was allowed in.

He was sprawled on his bed, my Adele CD playing softly in the background. He had a pillow strewn across his face as well. I kneeled down on his dark blue duvet, putting a hand on his knee.

“How you coping, boo?” I asked him.

He pulled my hand which was resting on his knee, and I lost my balance and landed on my side. He put an arm around me and we stared up at the ceiling.

“Tell me how it felt when your heart was broken,” he asked me.

“It felt…” I paused and cleared an embarrassing lump in my throat, “it felt as if my whole world had crumbled to pieces. I didn’t understand how someone could just… not care anymore. It was like his physical thing which just demanded to be felt. No matter what I did… it was there. But it gets better.”

Cam sat up suddenly, pulling me up with him. I smiled and wondered what he was doing. He then took my chin in his hands and I wiggled my eyebrows suggestively, as a joke. Cam didn’t return my joking behavior. He had flecks of gold in his dark brown eyes, I noticed, like pieces of gold they glittered and captured my full attention. He truly was a beautiful creature.

And then Cam pressed his lips against mine.

***

sorry guys for not updating you guys rock for staying with me though <3 every comment puts a smile on my face and i adore you all! xx