Confrontation

I had stopped in front of a big oak tree, in front of the Blue Hotel. The sun was setting, a warm orange glow casting down on the ground. The sky was a beautiful array of colors, red, purple, pink and orange. It was true how the most beautiful things were the simplest. I then heard footsteps and I hoped that it was Ace, or someone with a car key so I could get the hell out of this place.

My last name ought to have been replaced with Unlucky though, because the person behind me took the shape of my sister wearing one of her angriest expressions yet. She was storming toward me, steam basically coming out of her ears. I crossed my arms and faced her, unafraid. I had broken the wall which kept me from standing up to my sister.

Following closely, was Alex.

"Yes?" I demanded as soon as she arrived.

"Are you finally happy, Serena?! You ruined my wedding!" she screamed.

I flinched back at the amount of noise she could produce. My sister had been given the terrible gift of a high-pitched voice which could reach such loudness that you couldn't even hear it anymore. Sometimes I felt like only my dogs could hear it when she was really, really mad.

"Well, you ruined my four year relationship, my college plans, and my relationship with my mother, so let's call it even," I smiled sickly at her, my heart twinging painfully in my chest.

She let out a screech. Pigeons flew up into the air in fright and Alex attempted to take hold of Selena's hand. She ripped it from his grip and shoved me roughly. I almost fell flat on my back, but managed to grab onto the tree just in time.

"I HATE YOU SO MUCH, SERENA! I WISH I NEVER HAD A SISTER!"

That stung. But I could recover. These last couple of months had taught me one important thing. I did not need her to survive. I could live, pretty happily, without her. And with that knowledge propelling me, I started to say all the things I had kept bottled up for so long.

"Well, that makes two of us. You know what, Selena?" I was perfectly calm and stood to face her. We were the exact same height and our noses almost touched, "you're a bitch."

She drew back as if I had slapped her and let out the most horrified little gasp I had ever heard. Alex was staring at me with an expression somewhat between anger and being impressed. I resisted the urge to flip him off.

"My entire life you have been telling me what to do and how to do it. If I had something, you've Always needed to have it too. I wasn't even allowed to be on the freaking mathlete's because you were worried about popularity!"

"I did that for you! God, Serena, I was obviously looking out for you. Who'd want to date a mathlete member?"

"Oh shut up, you were Always worried about yourself and your popularity. And you know what? I might have dated Wendell!"

Alex scrunched up his nose and Selena looked absolutely disgusted, "are you serious? You know that Stacy caught him picking his nose."

Okay bad example.

"You had no right to walk all over me," I whispered.

She huffed, "you could have said no, each time."

It was true. She had never put a gun to my head and forced me to do something. But she manipulated me into doing exactly what she wanted. Whenever I did something she didn't approve of, she had such a scathing and cold look on her face. I would dumb for liking the things I did. But it was my fault too. I should have learnt to stand up for myself, stopped being such a coward.

"Why did you go after Alex?" I asked her, needing to know.

She could have had anyone. Why the guy who chose me? Selena looked on the verge of tears and looked down at the ground.