Ace is Quiet

I came home from work with Cam. He had his arm wrapped around my shoulder, and he was cockily grinning at the paparazzi following us. There were only two guys and I felt really strange ignoring them, but Cam had instructed me carefully not to even look at them. He had decided to frequent Tom's cafe and since he was a rising star, Tom made sure I was beyond polite to him. Ugh it was so annoying not to be able to pull pranks on him whilst he was chatting up another famous model, only this one female and gifted with the large boobies.

We arrived in front of our apartment door and I asked him the question which had been budding on my lips, "are you and Lee broken up for good?"

Cam's lips fell downward, grimacing at the sound of her name. Touchy, touchy, I thought with an inward eye-roll.

"I don't know, Serena. It's so difficult with her. It’s not the same and I'm not sure if I'm in love with her anymore," he shrugged coldly and held the door open for me.

That was harsh... This had been the girl he'd been festering feelings for, for ages. It was funny how sometimes you thought you wanted something, but when you actually got it... it just wasn't how you pictured it. I learnt this the hard way with my first Barbie Doll, which I'd bought myself from my pocket money. It was fun at first, but then I had a doll which I had ruined by putting a mustache on her with felt-tip. Oh well.

"So... no?"

"Yeah, I guess," Cam suddenly caught my wrist and pulled me into his chest.

I gawped at him, unattractively showing him the back of my mouth. What was his deal? He leant in, dangerously close, his thick and dark lashes making spidery shadows down his cheeks. My heart skidded in my chest, terrified of being so close to him. Ace, it whispered to me.

"I know you're with Ace," he murmured and my eyes fell to his lips, unable to stop myself.

I made a sound in the back of my throat.

"But there is always an offer with me," he whispered.

I slammed my hands into his chest, distancing myself from him. My cheeks were flushed red and my eyes were narrowed. How dare he? He was meant to be Ace's best friend! I knew how it felt to be pushed aside, replaced and I would never, ever do that to someone. Cam had let me down in a way which was more terrible than I could describe.

"How could you?" I shouted, "you're one of the Zacs!"

I suddenly heard a loud clap and from behind the sofa, Zac emerged with a massive grin on his face. Cam was laughing really hard as well. I failed to see what was funny. Was I dreaming? I pinched myself and jumped a little. That freaking hurt! I let out a curse under my breath.

"Sorry, we had to put you on the test," Zac said seriously.

"Are you kidding me?" I threw my hands on my hips, "you don't trust me?"

"Babe, almost everyone is in love with me. We just needed to make sure you aren't one of the hopeless," Cam said arrogantly.