Home

I picked up my weekend bag, shrugging it on. Zac was yawning at the door, even though it was nine o clock, not very early. I was kind of sad, because I was missing meeting Cams mom, who was arriving at four o'clock today. It also meant that Cam was not coming with me to Vermont, and I was nervous that I couldn't face it alone. I did have Jane and Zac, but they were a couple and they needed to do lovey dovey stuff. Ugh, couples.

"Let me carry that," Ace said, wanting to take my weekend bag.

"It's fine, it's not that heavy." I declined, although it made me kind of happy that he would offer to carry my stuff for me. It was a gentleman's trait.

"Don't be dumb," Ace rolled his eyes, taking the bag off my shoulder.

I raised my eyebrows and watched him swagger away. I had to stop myself from laughing. He was kind of adorable when he tried to take care of me. I followed him hastily as Zac pointed to his watch.

We met Jane by a taxi. She looked very pretty, dressed in a short cream dress with a jean jacket on top. She had a flowery hairband on, with winged eyeliner to match. Zac's facial expression softened immediately when he saw her, capturing her wrist and pulling her close to his chest. Jane relaxed against him. They fitted together like pieces of a jigsaw.

"Okay cuddles and snuggles over now," Cam said, grabbing Jane by her armpits and swinging her round to stand next to me, "I wanna say goodbye to my bro."

Jane and Zac were headed off to Jamaica, after Vermont. Afterward they were going off to Peurto Rico and then grabbing a boat to bring me to New Zealand, with some stops on the way of course. That would take them pretty much six to seven months. Then they would go to Australia and then Malaysia, before traveling back to the United States after the year.

It was suck without Zac. Even though I didn't know Jane very well... I would miss her too as well. Luckily though, I wouldn't have to say goodbye until two days from now. Cam sighed, and then Zac crossed the space between them, giving him one of those boy hugs, which involved a lot of thumping on the back.

"You be safe, man," Cam said.

"You too," Zac said, "I'll miss you, bud."

Ace cleared his throat and then also gave Zac a hug, thought admittedly shorter than the one Cam and him shared. Ace kept his hand on Zacs shoulder and started talking intensely to him. Zac nodded seriously and then smiled. They hugged one more time and I saw the genuine sadness on both of their faces. Although they were opposites, they were truly good friends and I could see how much they would miss each other.

Cam then grabbed me, pulling me up and swinging me round like my dad used to, before he died. I squealed and laughed, before Cam set me down again. I stumbled a little and leaned against Cam, as he gave me a side hug.

"Give them hell, Serena. Don't you let them make you feel bad. You are a worth a lot more than they are," Cam told me, before kissing my cheek.

I smiled widely. Ace then walked over to me, and we stood and looked at one another for a few moments. He reached forward and took my hand and we just stared at one another, and I knew what he was saying. He didn't need to talk for me to know that this was his silent gesture of support, which meant more than any speech or any grand action. This was all I needed and all I wanted.

"Thank you," I whispered.

Ace nodded and pressed his thumb against my wrist. I smiled at him before letting go, although I wanted to stay like that forever.

***

I got the window seat. It was only a thirty minute airplane ride, but it had been ten thirty before we actually got on the plane, meaning we'd probably arrive a few minutes after eleven. Zac was snoring, his mouth wide open. Jane was listening to one of her favorite bands Bastille, singing along very softly. I had my head pressed against the window, watching the clouds flow beneath us. It was so beautiful and peaceful up there.