[11]

Brooklyn, NY, 1943

Brooklyn, NY, 1943

Dolores ran quickly down the street, making her way into the old building that secretly held people of high military importance. She had gotten a job in the Strategic Scientific Reserve, working as an assistant to a woman named Peggy Carter. The unit was specializing in research on how to create the most effective armies, and with Dolores' skills in science and math she made a great candidate to assist Agent Carter. She had barely begun her job when Bucky had left for the war two weeks ago and now she was in the full swing of it. 

They were in the process of some sort of biological experiment on men to optimize the perfect soldier, which made Dolores a little uneasy with the ethical implications of that. However, she was very excited to be a part of something so unique and possibly world-changing. 

"Agent! I have the reports you were looking for," Dolores called as she walked into Peggy's office after making it through the very secretive entrance. 

"Thanks, Dottie. And I've told you so many times, call me Peggy!" She smiled, having built a connection with the girl who was even older than she was. Peggy Carter was incredibly young to be doing what she was doing, but she had worked her ass off for this opportunity. 

"Now, come on. We are meeting our new candidates today. We have set up in a base training camp used for soldiers, Camp Lehigh, I believe," she nodded. Dolores had been told that they would be moving onto the base and staying there until their research and trials were done, so she had packed a bag of her belongings. She was issued a military uniform of her own and had some of her normal clothes and toiletries all ready by her own desk. 

The women made their way to the car that was waiting for them, taking them to a base camp in Wheaton, New Jersey. On their trip, Dolores wondered how Steve was doing. She had heard from him that his application had somehow gotten approved and he was heading off to training camp, and she worried for him. She had received one letter from Bucky who informed her that he enjoyed his unit and felt connected to them already. 

Once they arrived, she hopped out of the car and followed Peggy to their tent, noting that it was just the two of them bunking in there as there were not many women present on the base. 

"Ready to go see the recruits?" She asked with a smile. Dolores nodded, giving Peggy a salute which caused the British woman to roll her eyes and make her way out of the tent. The men that were a part of the program were lined up, standing at attention. 

"Recruits, attention!" Peggy called as Dolores got a good look at the 12 men. It wasn't until her eyes landed on a much smaller figure that she felt her heart start beating faster. 

"Gentlemen, my name is Agent Carter. I will be supervising your induction today," she began walking down the line, her posture straight and face determined. 

"I need everyone to complete this document to start," she passed out clipboards with papers on them that stated 'last will and testament', which caused some of the men to sober up pretty quickly. Dolores made her way down the line and stopped at Steve, glaring at him.