[18]

Italy, 1943

Italy, 1943

The music began to play as Senator Brandt's aide began to panic, searching everywhere for Steve and Dolores. They seemed to have vanished as the girls rushed to get on stage, one complaining about her helmet no longer being there. 

Meanwhile, Steve and Dolores were utilizing military gear to outfit themselves in proper battle attire as they knew what had to be done. Before long they were in an airplane with Howard Stark at the wheel, Peggy explaining how to get to the remaining captured men that were the target of this unauthorized rescue mission. 

"The Hydra camp is in Krausberg, tucked between two mountain ranges. It's a factory of some kind," Peggy was staring at a map, pointing some areas out to Dolores to note. Her skirt was exchanged for some cargo pants that were a little tight as she had more curves than the usual military man. She had gotten some belts and holsters to outfit her with weapons that weaved around her thighs and waist, her red, white, and blue long-sleeved shirt is tucked into the pants as tactical gloves and a helmet accessorized her new gear. 

"We should be able to drop you right on the doorstep," Howard hollered back, smiling at Dolores. 

She was in her own world as she prepared to jump straight into danger with the knowledge that her love was almost certainly dead. 

"Just get us as close as you can. Y'know, both of you are going to be in a lot of trouble when you land," Steve turned back to Peggy, grateful yet confused at her willingness to help. 

"And you're not?" Peggy smirked. 

"Yeah, but where I'm landing, if anyone yells at me I get to shoot them," Dottie joked, causing Howard to chuckle. 

"They're undoubtedly going to shoot back," Peggy sighed, worried for her friends. 

"Well, it's gotta be good for something," Steve gestured to the shield strapped to his back. Peggy chuckled as Howard looked back at Dottie. 

"Hey Steve, you and Dolores... you're not a thing, are ya?" He winked, causing Dottie to scoff. 

"Seeing as we are on a rescue mission for the men in her fiance's infantry, I would say no," Steve grumbled, causing Howard to blush slightly in embarrassment. 

"Stark's the best civilian pilot I've ever seen, and mad enough to brave this airspace. We're lucky to have him," Peggy offered to save the embarrassment. He started saying something about 'fondue' to Peggy when she cut him off. 

"Take this transponder. Activate it when you're ready and the signal will lead us right to you," Peggy handed Dottie a little box, causing the strawberry-blonde girl to nod. 

Before anything else could be said, the aircraft began getting assaulted with fire from enemy ships, causing Howard to begin massive evasive maneuvers. Steve strapped on his parachute causing Dolores to do the same before Peggy began yelling.