[15]

London, UK, 2016

London, UK, 2016

After Peggy's service was over, Steve stared at Sharon who was speaking to some of her relatives. He and Dolores had just found out that she was the niece of Peggy Carter, after already finding out that she was a SHEILD Agent instead of Steve's neighbour. 

"You should talk to her," Dolores offered with a smile, but Steve shook his head. The Cathedral began to clear out and all that was left was the large photo of Peggy and Steve and Dolores sitting in the pews. Sam had left already and Dolores had stayed to make sure Steve was alright. 

Natasha slowly made her way up the aisle, watching the two friends mourn their loss. When she stopped beside them, Steve didn't even look up before talking. 

"When Dottie and I came out of the ice... we thought everyone we had known was gone. When I found out Peggy was still alive, I was just... lucky to have her," he sighed, dropping his head as Dolores put a hand on his back. 

"She had you back, too," Natasha offered as Steve and Dolores stood, facing her. 

"Who else signed?" Steve asked, getting to what Natasha was clearly here for. 

"Tony. Rhodey. Vision," she listed off. 

"Clint?" Dolores asked, thinking of her good friend who fought by her side for years. 

"He says he's retired," Natasha smiled slightly as Dolores chuckled dryly. 

"Wanda?" Steve asked. 

"TBD," Natasha sighed. "I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's room for two more on the jet," Natasha offered lightly, knowing the answer already. 

"Just because it is the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together," Natasha took a step towards Dolores, grabbing her hand. Dolores looked up, her heart breaking at how this was turning out. 

"What are we giving up to do it?" Steve stared at Natasha as she slowly dropped Dolores' hand. 

"I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it," Steve sighed. 

"Neither can I," Dolores added, closing her eyes. 

"I know," Natasha smiled sadly, knowing she was never going to change their minds. 

"Then what are you doing here?" Dolores asked. 

"I didn't want you two to be alone," she offered, pulling them both in for a hug. Dolores accepted gladly, not fully processing the death of her friend. 

Once Natasha left, Steve found Sharon and began to have a conversation with her as they made their way back to her hotel. Sam and Dolores decided to let them have some time together, so they made their way back to their own hotel and were sitting on the couch, watching the news.