[6]

Brooklyn, NY, March 10th, 1934

The warm spring sun made a surprising appearance as Dolores began her walk to school. Eleanor had taken it to herself to begin walking with Rebecca and Bucky every morning, so Dolores thought it was smartest to avoid any possible interactions and just walk alone.

It had been almost three months since Bucky and Dolores had last spoken properly. After that night in front of her house, the young girl couldn't bare the embarrassment. She dodged the boy any chance she could get, yet he still tried and tried to talk to her.

She still hung around Roy and Esther, but whenever Bucky was present she would hide back into her shell and become extremely quiet. Any time he spoke to her, she responded with one-word answers and tight, unnatural smiles.

She exclusively called him Bucky now.

Bucky was losing his mind over it. He knew he should have just gotten over his nerves and kissed the girl that night, but he was scared of losing her. Now, it feels as if she's long gone. She still spoke with Steve on a regular basis for some reason, but the guy wouldn't tell Bucky a single thing she said out of respect for her privacy. With no chance to explain himself, Bucky felt as if he would never get the chance to call Dolores his own, but he was determined to change that today.

As Dolores rounded the corner, she caught sight of one James Buchanan Barnes, leaning against the fence of a house. Once he saw her, he perked up.

"Dot!" He smiled warmly. Dolores cursed under her breath, knowing she couldn't run away from this situation.

"Bucky," she nodded, continuing to walk past him. He quickly followed.

"Can I walk you to school? I dropped off Nell and Becca early, so I thought I'd come back and escort you," he gave a charming smile and Dolores almost fell for it.

Almost.

"Well, you're going to walk this way whether I want you to or not, correct?" She shot back, not even making eye contact with him. Bucky sighed.

"Dot-"

"Would 'ya stop calling me that? It's Dolores or Dottie," she snapped, finally giving him a glare. Bucky stopped abruptly, shocking Dolores.

"No! Dammit, it's Dot. You're my Dot. And I'm your James! That's how this works! That's how this has worked for months until I suddenly messed up and-" Bucky groaned, sliding his hand down his face.

"Exactly. You made the choice, Bucky. You didn't want-... you didn't think-... ugh, just... forget it!" Dolores was furious that she was so emotionally unstable around this boy, but she couldn't help it. After all this time she would still fall under his spell and she hated it.

"Don't walk away from me!" Bucky called, rushing back up to the girl and grabbing her shoulders.

"What-"

"You don't get to walk away from me. Not again. I'm not letting you get away one more time," Bucky's voice softened. Dolores stared into his eyes, losing herself as she always did.

"Ja-James, I don't understand-"

Bucky couldn't help it. He pulled on her shoulders, bringing his lips down onto hers in a soft and passionate kiss. Dolores almost didn't react, but she came to her senses and wrapped an arm around his neck, her other hand gripping his bicep tightly. It felt like the kiss lasted forever, but in reality, it was only a few seconds.

As they pulled away, Bucky gave a dazzling smile to the beautiful girl in front of him.

"I-I... I don't get it. You didn't want me. You didn't want to kiss me-" Dolores began rambling.

"Dot, I've wanted to kiss you since the moment I saw you. I was just too damn scared to lose you. You're special, doll. I've never met anyone like you, and I thought if I moved too fast that I would scare you off, but apparently, I was moving too slow..." Bucky chuckled as Dolores smirked up at him.

"You've got that right," she giggled, pulling him down to meet his lips again.

"Will you be my girl?" The boy whispered against her lips softly. Dolores almost fainted.

"Absolutely, James," she breathed out, causing Bucky to smile widely. He suddenly lifted her into the air, spinning her in circles as she giggled hysterically. He put her down lightly and gave her a chaste kiss.

"Happy Birthday to me, huh?"

This was short but cute af lmao