[24]

Berlin, Germany, 2016

Dottie stared at Bucky as he sat in a chair, still passed out from the collision in the chopper. Steve had been able to find a warehouse where a large industrial clamp was not in use, restraining Bucky's metal arm in the contraption in case he had woken up and was still not himself. 

She began to make her way around the warehouse, finding a box of CDs alongside a stereo, excited at the chance to listen to some music as her phone had been long gone since the chopper crash. She searched through them, finding Rumours by Fleetwood Mac and cracking a smile. She always loved the album, ever since she woke up from the ice and made it her goal to listen to all of the good music she had missed. She always loved music. 

The sound of 'Go Your Own Way' flooded the warehouse, causing Steve and Sam to snap their heads over to her. Sam flashed her a smile, happy to see the girl enjoying something. Steve remembered how much Dottie loved this song, reminiscing about when they lived in the Avengers tower together and the ridiculous dancing she would do around the kitchen. 

Bucky's eyes flutter open as he looks around, confused by the surroundings and the noise of a song playing, a soft female voice accompanying the track. Sam noticed his conscious state first. 

"Cap! Dottie!" Sam called, causing the two enhanced beings to make their way over to the vice and notice Bucky. 

"Dot," Bucky breathed when he noticed the woman in front of him. She hesitated, terrified that this was some cruel trick that the Winter Soldier was playing on her, but she couldn't help but feel so much joy at the use of her nickname. 

"Which Bucky am I talking to?" Dolores asked, still cautious as Steve stood directly behind her. 

"Your high school best friend's name was Essie... I spent five hours with Steve picking out the perfect ring for you..." Bucky mumbled, a small smile gracing his lips at the memory. Steve smiled back. 

"You can't read that in a museum," Steve sighed, walking closer to Bucky. Sam stood with his jaw basically on the ground. 

"And just like that we're supposed to be cool?" He asked, causing Dottie to nudge him as she walked by. Sam's ribs hurt from the action- more than he cared to admit. 

"What did I do?" Bucky's face paled, realizing the situation he was in and that there was a massive piece of his memory missing. 

"Enough," Dottie piped up, making her way to Bucky to free him from the large vice that was restraining him. When she got closer, he noticed the large bruise on her neck and the cuts that littered her face. His heart dropped at the sight, knowing he was the cause. 

"Oh God, I'm sorry Dot. I knew this would happen. Everything Hydra put inside me is still there, all he had to do was say the goddamn words," he groaned, flexing his metal wrist as Dolores freed him. 

"Who was he?" Steve asked, hoping for some answers as Bucky's eyes would not leave Dottie. His brain flashed with images of her, and his heart soared knowing exactly why his younger self fell in love with her. This was the first time he was able to be around her without the threat of someone trying to capture him.