[14]

Brooklyn, NY, 1943

Brooklyn, NY, 1943

Before long, they came upon the antique shop that masqueraded as the rebirth lab, entering and providing the correct secret code to the clerk in order to gain access. Steve gawked at all of the chrome and lights that littered the lab, which made Dolores smile.

She could see Phillips, Senator Brandt, and Dr. Erskine arguing, about her she could imagine, and proceeded to follow Peggy down the stairs to the main level. The doctors, nurses, and engineers stared at Dolores and Steve with admiration.

"Steve, Dottie! Good to see you, let's get you prepared. As you can understand, you'll have to take turns in the chamber as we have not had a second one made, nor the power to operate both at the same time. Budget cuts," Dr. Erskine shrugged, clearly having won the battle with Phillips and Brandt.

People began fretting over Steve, getting him to remove his shirt so they can place him in the machine and cover him in devices. Howard Stark appeared out of nowhere, speaking about the power grid they accessed in Brooklyn. Steve and Dolores made eye contact, surprised by his presence.

"Agent Carter, Miss Goodwin, I believe a spot in the booth is saved for you," Dr. Erskine suddenly intervened, causing Peggy and Dolores to catch the hint.

"Hey, be brave," Dolores whispered to Steve, placing a hand on his.

"I will. I'll see you on the other side," he smiled, gripping her hand with confidence. The women made their way to the booth as Dr. Erskine got on the mic to announce the process.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this morning we do not take another step toward annihilation. Today, we take the first step on the path to peace," he made eye contact with Dolores, giving her a knowing look.

"We will begin with a series of micro-injections to the subject's major muscle groups. The serum will cause immediate cellular change. In order to prevent uncontrolled growth, the subject will then be saturated with Vita Rays," the doctor explained as the crew began to get ready. A nurse brought a syringe over and give Steve a quick shot, causing him to tense and then relax.

"That wasn't so bad," he smiled, but the doctor chuckled.

"That was just a tetanus shot," he offered in a sorry manner. Suddenly, a panel slides back to reveal pads with hundreds of needles on them, with slots for vials of serum to sit. The nurses load them up as Dr. Erskine nods at a technician. The pads slide over Steve, awaiting the signal.

"Beginning serum infusion in five, four, three, two...one," Dr. Erskine announced, which then released the serum into Steve's veins. He grunted in pain, causing Dolores to wince.

His eyes opened wide as they shimmered a deep blue colour, continuing to pop his veins out as restraints came out over his head and legs. Once the vials are empty, the signal is given to Howard as the machine begins to close, propping him upright.